VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to this so please bare with me.

I have a 1996 volkswagon transporter t4 1996 commuter van that is now a camper van.
Lately it's been having a few problems, first coolant leak (now fixed) slight oil leak under eith where I think the gearbox is. And NOW I'm having break fluid leaking from the same place also.

When I got under the van I could see a large rubbery type glue that was holding something together. When I tried to move it. There was quite a lot of movement there and low and behold, it was covering quite a large crack in the (what I think is) gearbox.

I have included a picture of the area which has the rubbery glue and where it's leaking.

Firstly, is this cracked piece actually doing anything. Does it need to be a tight seal for it to work. Can I just weld it?
Secondly, why is there hydronic fluid, and small amounts of oil just loose in this area of the van?

I apologise if it's not the gear box. The location of it is to the right of the oil tank (when looking at the front of the van). There is a flimsy black metal sheet attached to the side of it, but it doesn't like it seals anything in, I think it's just designed to cover it up, but this is where the fluid is dripping from at its final point.

Any advise or information would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was reading a few forums before posting this one, all of them were saying that it's most likely the master or the slave cylinder that's leaking. I have checked both the master and slave and both are completely dry, I suspect it's the inside of the gear box from where it's leaking,

Pic below showing the slave cylinder is completely dry.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looks like the bell housing where the clutch and flywheel live, assuming it is there should be nothing there fluid wise to leak. Still not good to be cracked though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks like someone has tried pulling in the gearbox on that bolt and snapped off the bellhousing. Ok to get it welded.
Probably slave cylinder leaking, but it would leak at the other end, inside the bellhousing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. As rich says. Leak will be where slave cylinder protrudes through bell housing. May just be a weep but gathers in time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKYOU so much for all your help guys. You have put my mind at ease. At lease it's not a MEGA bit job. I am going to pull out the slave cylinder today providing the old bolts are in my favour hehe, and I am going to get the bell housing welded. Not good, I purchased this van, and as you do I asked the owner 'is there anything wrong with it, he said the usual 'NOT A THING IS WRONG'. The moment I left the driveway after paying for it, the clutch/ gear rod disengaged. Just goes to show hey. I am currently in Redcliffe Queensland, australia,nd even here the people cannot be trusted. I can't tell you the problems I've had with this van. Let alone, I am still waiting for the separate keys that actually open the front passenger and driver doors. He failed to tell me that he'd lost the . So now I have to get in from the slide door at the back. It's had a coolant leak, oil leak, destroyed a bushing where the front passenger wheel is. Electrics are going (break lights at the back come on when you indicate). Crazy. This guy calls himself a mechanic, but I for one havnt seen a worse person. He is terrible, and will not go very far in life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKYOU so much for all your help guys. You have put my mind at ease. At lease it's not a MEGA bit job. I am going to pull out the slave cylinder today providing the old bolts are in my favour hehe, and I am going to get the bell housing welded. Not good, I purchased this van, and as you do I asked the owner 'is there anything wrong with it, he said the usual 'NOT A THING IS WRONG'. The moment I left the driveway after paying for it, the clutch/ gear rod disengaged. Just goes to show hey. I am currently in Redcliffe Queensland, australia,nd even here the people cannot be trusted. I can't tell you the problems I've had with this van. Let alone, I am still waiting for the separate keys that actually open the front passenger and driver doors. He failed to tell me that he'd changed the engine starter switch and that there were two different keys, and the keys to the front doors, he had misplaced . So now I have to get in from the slide door at the back. It's had a coolant leak, oil leak, destroyed a bushing where the front passenger wheel is. Electrics are going (break lights at the back come on when you indicate). Crazy. This guy calls himself a mechanic, but I for one havnt seen a worse person. He is terrible, and will not go very far in life. I am doing the best I can to ensure his name does not sell another car/van. He has no thought about anyone else but himself. I wish him the very worst of luck in life. But I'm sure he will find his own

1 - 7 of 7 Posts