VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another one of these threads, but you tyre gurus out there are much better on this than me.

I'm running the van on eibachs wih the plates so nt massively low, what is the biggest tyre size I could do on 8 x 16s et 45 cheers fellas I want to fill the arch a bit and gear in up without rubbing anythingT:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Others have stated 225/60/r16. Make sure U get the load rating right all around
I am sure someone will post reg different OD & how it will mate with your Tacho reading:)

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi, even 235/60/16 should be no problem on 8J's. Again, it'll throw your speedo off. Check it against GPS, so you know, where you're at or get it aligned.

/M

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,226 Posts
LOADS of tyre size calculators on Google....
Example:
http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

IF you go more than 5%....beware....10% is the legal limit for speedo readings, and they ALWAYS read HIGH!!!
So, maybe std reads 8% high, and you go 3% over that...don't expect PC Plod to take any excuses from you!

Don't think you can have the speedo simply "aligned".....it's taken from the gearbox output to the ECU....

As for fitting in the arches....LOADS of room...IF you have the correct offset wheels, and you don't go too low.

I have a -40mm lowering kit, but looking at other's posts/pics, mine looks more like 100mm lower?!?! :confused:
I can just get my flat hand between tyre and arch, and that's a KW,TUV approved -40mm full set.
I see pics of vans stating -60mm and I could get my fist in there!
Scroll down to MY post here....
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148178&page=2

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Don't think you can have the speedo simply "aligned".....it's taken from the gearbox output to the ECU....
The speedo can be "aligned" no problem using vagcom, if you know, what you're doing. This also has to be done, when you for example upgrade from the 15" brake system to the 16" brake system of the TD red I or the V6 T4.

The signal from the gearbox only reports a signal in intervals which you actually can read in the distribution panel in central electrics.

The only exception to above are the old instrument clusters with a cable-based speedo from a spindle. All the newer ones are fully electronic and adjustable.

/M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts