VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im presently re-insulating my van using flash banding and thermal foil insulation.

The stuff that i am using i got from b&q and has a reasonable thermal resistance of 1.455W/M2K.

I dont want to go over the top and stick 10 layers of the foil in there and it costing a fortune but does anyone know if there is an optimum number of layers before the benefits of doing so starts to plateau.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im presently re-insulating my van using flash banding and thermal foil insulation.

The stuff that i am using i got from b&q and has a reasonable thermal resistance of 1.455W/M2K.

I dont want to go over the top and stick 10 layers of the foil in there and it costing a fortune but does anyone know if there is an optimum number of layers before the benefits of doing so starts to plateau.

Cheers in advance

You might as well use as much of the stuff as you can as there is a lot of thermal bridging in a van. Stuff the big spaces with the reclaimed plastic insulation also from B&Q.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't see any point in multiple layers, part of insulation is gained from the air void between foil panels. Recommend one layer on panels, some plastic bottle stuff (don't need to stuff it in), and then apply further foil over the full area, taped to steel prior to timber panelling. I didnt glue the last layer of foil to the plastic bottle stuff, to encourage an air gap.

Well thats just what i have done over past months

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
1,094 Posts
We use one layer against the metalwork, then our own sound-proofing/insulation pack, with one final layer to seal the void, if you are looking to put multiple layers of foil it will become expensive or as keith says (t4 chippy) consider using multi-foil insulation such as tri-iso super 9 etc or sf19, (if you use these products make sure you seal the edges with foil tape to form a sealed package as this will give max performance) we are able to supply our soundproofing /insulation packs as a sample if you are interested, these are totally sealed and allow no moisture ingress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sheeps wool naturally contains lanolin which keeps the sheep dry.
Recommendations on this forum are to use the recycled plastic bottle insulation or the sheeps wool insulation for its water resistance.
I am personally insulating mine with the sheeps wool right now, as it has a higher U value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts