VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LCD mileometer and clock have stopped working on my 1.9TD 2000 (blue display). No display. No sign of any liquid crystal. They do not come on when engine is on or when off. Radio, internal lights etc. all working fine. I've checked all the fuses including those 'hidden' in the cover beneath fuse box and they all look OK.

:eek:

I don't drive her every day......a few days ago I cut out an old nokia hands free unit from the dash....by cutting the cables to the unit. I didnt notice at the time whether or not this caused the problem. When I drove the van for the first time last night I noticed the display not working..so i don't know if I caused the problem by chopping out the unit. I've tried splicing the hands free unit back in but it didnt fix the problem.

Any help please? My Mrs. is cursing me for breaking the van!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So....just to update everybody...an auto electrician looked at the fuses etc....all fine....suggested I send cluster off to BBA Rehman. I phoned them for a quote and they gave me a flat charge of £139 plus vat plus carriage for whatever work was required.

Found Cluster Repairs UK on the web...they quoted me between £40 and £130 depending what needed doing including carriage but plus vat.

Sent cluster off to them and it was returned fixed in a week..total cost £110 including vat and carriage. Work undertaken was "LCD Drivers fully restored" (sounds like they pressed the reset button!)....anyhow...cheaper than it would have been with BBA Rehman.

Moral of story....disconnect battery before cutting any cables....cut them one at a time, to different lengths.....

BTW.....Cluster Repairs thought that the fault was probably unrelated to me chopping out the handsfree unit....but it seems too much of a coincidence!T:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts