VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a camper that was converted from a panel van, including bonded side windows.
Two of them seem to leak a bit when subjected to heavy rain. Both leaks show up at the top of the window and spot thro the edge of the lining carpet.

My question is around the rubber finishing bead that surrounds the edge of the window on the outside. Is it possible to remove this (to hopefully examine the bonding and correct it) and then put it back without damaging it?? Or is it fitted to the glass before bonding it on and then stuck there??

Thanks people...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Bit of both. It is fitted to the glass before bonding but isn't actually glued to it. So unless the bonding glue has ended up sticking to it then you might be able to remove it for inspection.

However whether you inspect or not you know that the bonding has a gap due to the leak so the rubbers gotta come out to fix that anyway. Unless you want to clear the way from the inside and squeeze some extra bonding in from the inside and hope to plug the gap?

Personally I'd remove (and probably replace) the rubber (£2.50 per metre from Vansport). Then cheese wire out the window completely. Cut away the old bonding and refit with nice fresh job.

Ok, you'll use £30 of materials but at least you'll know it's done properly.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
as goldust says it really needs to come out clean all old sealer from window and van then re sealed/glued back in, i would go to local windscreen place and ask how much ??,dont know where you are located in comparison to him but firstglass on here comes reccomended by other members T:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and opinions guys. I'll have a dig and see if the rubber will yield for a bit of a look. And maybe get a price off Lakeland Windscreens...
Dave, I'm a bit busy over the weekend and most of next week but give me a shout if you need to.
Keith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, not sure if you have managed to sort your window out but we can have a look for you by all means all advice is free just pop along or call us up, 01539736422 as if you gat the moulding out you may struggle getting it back in we keep this in stock anyway,

cheers
dave

B

·
0 Posts
How do these window fitted with the "U" moulding on the inside fit correctly to the side of the body the window should sit slightly recessed to the bodywork with a 2-4 mm gap between the glass and the body on the inside :confused:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a post script to this issue from me...
The water leaks were not coming from the windows, thankfully!
The lifting roof, that had been fitted by a firm in Bolton, was allowing water in anytime the van was parked slightly nose down via the 2 deep grooves in the roof. To fit the roof the grooves had been levelled with a plastic moulding that was not fully sealed down, allowing any pooled water to get in and then track down the outer skin of the van and appear at the window. I have now sealed/stuck the mouldings down fully with some Sikaflex I already had.

The side lifting roof is designed for SWB vans and mine is a LWB so I guess the conversion company don't do many of them and may not have come across this issue before.

Off to France for a couple of weeks soon so it won't be tested as it doesn't rain there does it?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts