VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a recurring coolant leak problem with our T28. When I say leak, there is no evidence of it leaking under the van...but it’s going somewhere! The level only drops after a long run and doesn’t seem to drop when idle. I’ve recently had a new radiator fitted and had a head gasket pressure test done (all ok).
Any ideas or suggestions on root cause appreciated

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

Is this on a 2.5?

If so I had the same issues and it turned out that the seals were worn/damaged on the water pump.

I have recently replaced the water pump and all good!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Is this on a 2.5?

If so I had the same issues and it turned out that the seals were worn/damaged on the water pump.

I have recently replaced the water pump and all good!
No a 1.9 TDI. The garage that I took the van to said the water pump was ok, but whether they checked the seals is unknown. I'll have a look in to this,cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it have an EGR cooler? Is the coolant getting pressurised? Any mayo on the oil filler cap or dipstick?
Hi, thankyou for your response.
I am not sure about the EGR cooler but there is a whole lot of pressure release from the coolant tank when I remove the cap. When I open it the cap its almost like there is a rush of coolant when I open it and the coolant level actually rises as a result.
There is no evidence of any mayo/whitening on the oil filler cap or dipstick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This occurs when the coolant heats up anyway, but there can be more pressure when the head or head gasket fails. If you have checked all of the hoses and radiator and can't see an external leak then it is either leaking from somewhere you can't see such as into the engine via head, head gasket, EGR cooler or from the heating system such as the front or rear matrix, the Auxillary parking heater (if fitted) or associated pipe work.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On a 1.9 those are the classic symptoms as Plateletboy says. If you find any residual pressure in the coolant bottle in the morning (any hiss as you open the cap when stone cold) then that more or less confirms it. The chemical and 'sniff' tests are handy but a negative result with those isn't conclusive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a 1.9 those are the classic symptoms as Plateletboy says. If you find any residual pressure in the coolant bottle in the morning (any hiss as you open the cap when stone cold) then that more or less confirms it. The chemical and 'sniff' tests are handy but a negative result with those isn't conclusive.
Thanks for your feedback. There is residual pressure from the coolant tank but chemical and sniff tests were both fine

·
Registered
435 Posts
any update?
ive had clear sniff/Chem test as water was being burned through engine coming out as steam from exhaust.i could smell the anti freeze from the back that’s how I knew..
Why did you change the rad??
when the head/g goes it sometime just small to start so the fluid swap takes a while or Mayo takes a good while to appear.
obviously everyone is just using previous experiences to guess for you but Ive had loads of 1.9tdi and what you describe sound like head gasket... unless you changed rad for suspected leak but the leak is still there and it wasn’t the rad...
ive Had a head skimmed and redone turned out to be a cracked block...
good luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any update?
ive had clear sniff/Chem test as water was being burned through engine coming out as steam from exhaust.i could smell the anti freeze from the back that’s how I knew..
Why did you change the rad??
when the head/g goes it sometime just small to start so the fluid swap takes a while or Mayo takes a good while to appear.
obviously everyone is just using previous experiences to guess for you but Ive had loads of 1.9tdi and what you describe sound like head gasket... unless you changed rad for suspected leak but the leak is still there and it wasn’t the rad...
ive Had a head skimmed and redone turned out to be a cracked block...
good luck
Not yet, still in the garage. The fact that its been in there since Monday suggests they are struggling to find the root cause.
The rad was replaced as I was told that the old one was in a bad way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts