VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the passenger door today to find a small pool of water in the footwell (pic taken after I'd cleaned it up but it was trapped inside)!

On further investigation it seems that rainwater is leaking out the screw hole at the bottom of the doorcard and leaving a pool inside the van mostly on the door seal.

I've never seen inside the doorcard, but what could it be, anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had same problem with my 58 plate at time van was only 6 mths old,took it back to main vw dealers and it was as you said the door card seal strip or something like that.Its been fine ever since.T:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,

I took the van to main dealer hoping they will sort problem on warranty, and they told me that the after-market speakers and adapters are at fault and won't fix it.

Anyone fitted aftermarket speakers have experience of leaks?

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
OK,

I took the van to main dealer hoping they will sort problem on warranty, and they told me that the after-market speakers and adapters are at fault and won't fix it.

Anyone fitted aftermarket speakers have experience of leaks?

Cheers,
I've got exactly the same issue mate:( opened the door this morning and water ran out! Did you ever get to the bottom of it?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Surely it can only be the rubber seal to the window not exerting enough pressure against the glass, could that either be worn, distorted or some grit or caught in it. Dont know if you can buy new replacements?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up taking the door cards off to investigate.

Basically, when it rained, the water was dripping off the bottom of the window as it should. But was hitting the back of the new speakers, running round to the bottom and coming out of the seal between the aluminium and the steel painted door. Resulting in water being 'inside' the van rather than falling inside the skin of the door and heading out of the exit points at the bottom.

The first new speakers stuck out too far (JBL), so I invested in some slim fit Ground Zero Radioactive GZRF16FXII Flat 110W Speakers (which actually sound better than the JBL's anyroad) and re-sealed everything with silicone, and this sorted the problem...

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Not sure mate, there is still water coming out the drain holes on bottom of door, but also up where the doorcard meets the door, where the 3 screws fix it.:*.

I have to park on a sideways slope, so it holds it in if you know what I mean.

Don't understand why water is getting in behind the doorcard and not just running out bottom of the door?:*

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surely it can only be the rubber seal to the window not exerting enough pressure against the glass, could that either be worn, distorted or some grit or caught in it. Dont know if you can buy new replacements?
Nah, water is supposed to go 'inside' the door and out the two little holes at the bottom...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure mate, there is still water coming out the drain holes on bottom of door, but also up where the doorcard meets the door, where the 3 screws fix it.:*.

I have to park on a sideways slope, so it holds it in if you know what I mean.

Don't understand why water is getting in behind the doorcard and not just running out bottom of the door?:*

Yea same as me. If you take door card off, it's prob coming from the seal between aluminium skin (with speaker attached) and painted steel of door.
Look at 6th picture down on this link. (bit difficult to distinguish because door is silver and same colour as aluminium.

I saw it in action by taking the door card off. Take speakers out and you can see the water dripping down. The water falls off the bottom of the window and should go straight down to the bottom of the door out exit holes. On mine it was hitting the back of the speaker and running onto back of aluminium skin because they were deeper than the originals.

I guess when you're on a slope, it drips a little more towards the speaker (you got aftermarkets?) and hence onto back of aluminium skin.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I ended up taking the door cards off to investigate.

Basically, when it rained, the water was dripping off the bottom of the window as it should. But was hitting the back of the new speakers, running round to the bottom and coming out of the seal between the aluminium and the steel painted door. Resulting in water being 'inside' the van rather than falling inside the skin of the door and heading out of the exit points at the bottom.

The first new speakers stuck out too far (JBL), so I invested in some slim fit Ground Zero Radioactive GZRF16FXII Flat 110W Speakers (which actually sound better than the JBL's anyroad) and re-sealed everything with silicone, and this sorted the problem...
What a nightmare. I've got some focal 6.5 components in adapters and its only done it since these were fitted!:*. Sounds exactły like what you say. If it all came out the drain holes it would be outside the van and gone. :*

But...... Surely this would be more common, we are not the only people who have uprated the speakers, but there is only a few with this issue?

Found this earlier too..........
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196217

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, you'd think it happens more, but when I spoke to a couple of people; my installer said it happened to him but he ignores it - wish he'd said before install.

Another ICE guy said he makes custom adapters (MDF not placcy off the shelf like mine) and seals it all up with silicone unlike my installer!

It's annoying but you may be okay parked on flat, and not too difficult to sort. Or ignore!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Yea, you'd think it happens more, but when I spoke to a couple of people; my installer said it happened to him but he ignores it - wish he'd said before install.

Another ICE guy said he makes custom adapters (MDF not placcy off the shelf like mine) and seals it all up with silicone unlike my installer!

It's annoying but you may be okay parked on flat, and not too difficult to sort. Or ignore!
Yeah I guess it can be gotten over one way or the other. Just a bit of a :eek::eek::eek: moment when I opened the door! I guess I'll try it parked the other way around, or I just move to the Atacama Desert.I:

Will it wreck anything inside the door if left? Speakers and water don't really mix:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts