VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the van to the hand carwash today (you know the ones....run by Armenians or something like that). Ok, so its very lazy but it was a bit cold to do it myselfI:

Anyway a couple of drips of water landed on my leg and appears that there is a minor leak from the top of the windscreen. The pressure washer didn't actually help but I was wondering if anyone knows of any suitable products to cure it? Is there a special leak sealant that works or am I just better off trying to seal it with some silicone seal?

Cheers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Silicone is no good bud.
The windscreen is bonded in on these vans and if it leaks the only proper solution is to have it removed and rebonded.
Check with your insurance to see if they cover it like a stone chip (free for some). At the end of the day it's a question of safety.
Point out you don't want it falling out on you and causing an accident (bigger payout on their side).
Highly unlikely to fall out, but worth a try.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
mine started like this, progressivley got worse, eventually had screen removed and the rust undeneath was awful, thats why it had lifted. ended up getting entrie van blown over at same time as having the metal sorted around the screen, repainted then rebonded back in,

doesnt leak now,

hope yours is just the glue thats come away and nothing worse, you couldnt see the rust before the screen came out, the glue was holding water i guess?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! You guys have just scared me:eek: Sounds like I'll be trying to patch this up with a bit of sealant and keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts