VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally off topic as this concerns my wife's Citroen C3 Diesel.

She has phoned me to say her car is making a 'chuffing' or ticking noise - it sounds to me to be symptomatic of a leaking injector seal. Unfortunately I'm working away from home for a couple of months so can't get my head under the bonnet to see for myself.

I asked her to book it into a local independent garage as it's due its MOT soon anyway, but they can't do anything for about 3 weeks.

SO.... my question is, how safe is it to drive for short distances (2 miles max)? She needs it to occasionally go shopping etc and the rest of the time it would sit on the drive.

She said it has only just started making the noise (last 48hrs or so) and she hasn't driven it anywhere since so I suspect there will be no/minimal pooled fuel etc.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of someone more mechanically minded. The alternative is that I let her drive my van until I return and that ISN'T going to happen! I:

Cheers T:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Noises are notoriously difficult to describe and decipher on a forum. One mans blown gasket is another mans shredded cam belt.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Totally off topic as this concerns my wife's Citroen C3 Diesel.

She has phoned me to say her car is making a 'chuffing' or ticking noise - it sounds to me to be symptomatic of a leaking injector seal. Unfortunately I'm working away from home for a couple of months so can't get my head under the bonnet to see for myself.

I asked her to book it into a local independent garage as it's due its MOT soon anyway, but they can't do anything for about 3 weeks.

SO.... my question is, how safe is it to drive for short distances (2 miles max)? She needs it to occasionally go shopping etc and the rest of the time it would sit on the drive.

She said it has only just started making the noise (last 48hrs or so) and she hasn't driven it anywhere since so I suspect there will be no/minimal pooled fuel etc.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of someone more mechanically minded. The alternative is that I let her drive my van until I return and that ISN'T going to happen! I:

Cheers T:
I would say don't drive until it's diagnosed
If it's blowing past the injector then fuel could dilute the oil or 'wash the bore of oil' permanently wrecking the motor
Are u willing to take that chance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts