VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

First post for me, but this site has been unbelievably useful so far!!

Anyway, I'd like to replace the 2 standard roof lights in the back with 6 led down-lighters. I am installing a leisure with split charge and need some help on the wiring...

Basically I'd like to run the lights from the leisure but still retain the courtesy function when doors are opened. As far as I can tell, if I have 2 switches and use one to switch the standard "van earth" and the other to switch the existing "door switch earth" (wired together from both lights as they currently work independently) and then the leisure + feed (fused) connected direct to the LEDS, this should mean I can have them ON/OFF at will and also have them come on when opening doors but have the option to turn this off also??

Let me know if I've got this totally wrong :-S....

Also, I'd ideally like to use a nice switch unit that has little leds to indicate if its on or off, but as I am feeding the ground through the switches I guess this is impossible? Or could I essentially wire them in reverse and have a + feed from battery connected to ground switch terminal, thereby powering the switch but only passing through the ground to the LEDS?

Or is it possible to get a double switch with indicator leds that are powered separately from the circuits connected to the switches?

Im not even sure im making any sense now....:eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did something very similar a few months ago, minus the status LEDs.

You can do it with a single DPDT switch (the kind with 6 connectors on the back that goes ON-OFF-ON).
Top 2 pins go to Leisure battery positive and Van Earth
Middle 2 pins go to your ceiling lights
Bottom 2 pins go to the old switched power supply for your old lights.

Result is a single switch, in the top position it retains the old door-open function (powered from vehicle battery), middle position is off, and bottom position is forced-on (powered from leisure battery).

Sounds complicated but it's really simple, I can make proper instructions if you'd like?

·
Love your Van
30 Posts
*<:)>
Hi guys I what to to put well led lights in is there a short cut to pick up courtesy lighting without going up the door pilar to ceiling lights cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did something very similar a few months ago, minus the status LEDs.

You can do it with a single DPDT switch (the kind with 6 connectors on the back that goes ON-OFF-ON).
Top 2 pins go to Leisure battery positive and Van Earth
Middle 2 pins go to your ceiling lights
Bottom 2 pins go to the old switched power supply for your old lights.

Result is a single switch, in the top position it retains the old door-open function (powered from vehicle battery), middle position is off, and bottom position is forced-on (powered from leisure battery).

Sounds complicated but it's really simple, I can make proper instructions if you'd like?
Proper instructions, or a wiring diagram would be fab! T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect mate thanks, This makes it even simpler!

Diagram would be good too :)

Can't seem to find a DPDT switch with status led but I guess I can do without!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the rear lights currently seem to be on different circuits - should I wire the + feed and - sensor earth to the same 2 pins on new switch? I want the lights to come on with either side door or tailgate opened. At the moment only one light goes on for each.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
*<:)>
Hi guys I what to to put well led lights in is there a short cut to pick up courtesy lighting without going up the door pilar to ceiling lights cheers
If you've got a kombi with side step lights there is a short cut its where my footwell lights are run from. Otherwise it's up to the top I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts