VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I want to put in some LED Lights in my van.

I would like 2 rows of 3 down-lighters behind the cab area between my two windows where my campervan units will be low.

then a separately switched pair of lights (one centre and one left - ie missing out the right hand one where the wardrobe will be)

the rear 2 will be usable as reading lights for the rear passengers and the front 6 lighting up the cooking/dining area well.

So with 8 lights to buy - i dont want lights that are designed to light the whole van with only 2 or 4 lights as i dont want it so bright it feels like a close encounter of the 3rd kind in the van.

Any suggestions on some nice not too powerful and not too expensive LED down-lighters.

P.S. this forum prevents you from searching for 3 letter words so finding previous threads on LED lighting is pretty difficult...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check out the dioder LED lights in IKEA. They're cheap and very effective and run of your 12v battery, but you may want to fit a regulator to keep the power at exactly 12 volts to prevent the lights from blowing.
There's a few threads on here about them...do a search for dioder lights.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi Roy

There are many differnt options when it comes to LED lights and normal 12 volt lights for vans and many different places you can get them from such as B and Q, ebay etc. We sell LED lights and normal 12 volt lights that are either switched or unswitched and have also fitted them to our customers vans, see pictures below.

You are more than welcome to come over and have a look and see how bright they are T: (Not open this Monday but will be open Tuesday onwards!)

Steven
Westcountry Campervans
Redruth
Cornwall
www.westcountrycampervans.co.uk

Insulation, soundproofing, ply lining, vinyl floors, carpeting, windows, Cannon's Forge rock n roll beds, campervan conversions and much more!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
10 x white or blue led down lights with crome surround approx £15 - £25 ebay

1 x led 12v remote dimmer £4 ebay (imo a must) from HK but worth the wait and the saving.

Remember no dimmer and if fitted at eye level it will dazzle you. You have to think about where its shining when your laying in bed etc....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Check out the dioder LED lights in IKEA. They're cheap and very effective and run of your 12v battery, but you may want to fit a regulator to keep the power at exactly 12 volts to prevent the lights from blowing.
led's run @ 12v they need transformers to run at 240v

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
led's run @ 12v they need transformers to run at 240v
Most led kits come with a 240v transformer, this can be left off and wire the LEDs directly to the 12v vehicle system, regulators will prolong the life of LEDs but aren't really necessary.

Be careful with depth of light fitting on a t4 there isn't as much roof void space as a t5. Flush mount are preferable if you don't want to be stuck with your lights in a specific place.

·
Registered
596 Posts
round ones or strip ones ????

you could always PM Upspex on here as he sells a similar LED light (the round ones)

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are not flush fit, they are surface mount. However they are only about 6 or 7mm deep so certainly look flush when they are installed.

I've just put 5 in my van, 4 in the front half of the van on one switch and a fifth over the space where the rock and roll bed will go on a seperate switch.

This fifth light will serve as a reading light for rear passengers and also a dimmer light when not cooking or eating etc.

For only £5 each I suspect they will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most led kits come with a 240v transformer, this can be left off and wire the LEDs directly to the 12v vehicle system, regulators will prolong the life of LEDs but aren't really necessary.

Be careful with depth of light fitting on a t4 there isn't as much roof void space as a t5. Flush mount are preferable if you don't want to be stuck with your lights in a specific place.
Hello guys

im new to this and im in the process of my first t4 conversion and and im stuck on what lights as well are the ikea lights you are talking about ok to run off 12v leisure battery and 240 hook up ?????? or does anyone have other ideas really need help as i dont know lots about electrics

But im good at making rock and roll beds being a welder/fabricator

Many Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello guys

im new to this and im in the process of my first t4 conversion and and im stuck on what lights as well are the ikea lights you are talking about ok to run off 12v leisure battery and 240 hook up ?????? or does anyone have other ideas really need help as i dont know lots about electrics

But im good at making rock and roll beds being a welder/fabricator

Many Thanks
I'm new to this too - so you may want to wait for a more experienced builder to respond. But this is what im planning to do.

The lights will be wired up to my leisure battery via a switch/fuse panel and then switched on and off in daily use by a switch on the earth of the lights.

I have not used the 240v dioder transformer at all.

My leisure battery will in turn be charged whenever the engine is running via a split charge relay and also whenever I am "hooked up" to 240v via a 3 stage battery charger. (I believe upspex sells a nice 20Amp one for about £60)

So the lights will either run from the battery, the alternator or the 3 stage charger.

I have heard people talk about voltage regulators to stop the 14v charge voltage when the engine is running or the electric hook up charger is on from damaging the LEDs but I am waiting to see if I have any problems before I add a regulator (I have 3 spare in case I blow any)

All above is theoretical at the moment as I have simply fitted my lights to the van as the wiring was behind the ply lining and carpeting - I have yet to add any furniture, rock and roll bed or leisure electrics.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Regulators are only necessary if the leds are used while the van is running, when there is over 13v going to the battery, if the leds are being used when the van isnt running then regulators arent needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts