VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the idea instead of having one strip light in rear, of 50 or so single led lights mounted in roof lining. The problem is, what to look for?

What is mcd, how is it affected by the size of led, 3mm, 5mm, or 10mm. Viewing angles etc? I get the array design but also, Vf quoted as 3.2 - 3.4 what to put in calculator?

How much light would 50 give? Looking for the warm light rather than ultra bright but must still give off equivalent of a strip light.

Dave

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've recently replaced a twin-tube flourescent fitting with one of these:

http://www.jmgoods.co.uk/acatalog/Slim_Slab.html

It's got 48 LEDs and is easily bright enough to illuminate the whole interior to a useful level. And that's from up in a hightop. Went for the "warm" version which is just as it says. Not cheap, but I've been very impressed. So yes, 50 LEDs should be ample :)

(Also got a 96 LED tube for the awning, again, easily lights it up enough and it's a 3x3 awning, so pretty big. Both lights together draw about 1.5A.)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

Always difficult to compare single leds with these things but due to other 'roof' plans, they need to be single. I think 50 should be ample.

Dave

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've put 39 3mm (blue) and 5mm (white) individual LEDs randomly spaced in my roof lining and they are quite bright.
I kind of jsut did it as a see what's it's like exercise really so they even under the roof lining material in case it didn't come out very well.

·
Registered
950 Posts
These are what i fitted - marine spec low profile downlighters & they give out plenty of light T:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

Just bought a T30 58plate LWB and think its great

Not being an auto electrician I did the following . It may help or give ideas..
I also struggled to get LED strips working from the door so I did the following
I wired 5 x 50cm LED back to a connector block
Then from the block I wired them back to the permenant 12v cig lighter socket
But used a 240v timer push switch

So I have the standard ceiling lights working if I open the door
BUT if I need additional lighting I can push the button to switch on the LEDS
Then after say 3mins (or whatever I set it to) the lights go out on their own
No need to worry about them staying on accidently

For me it's a great work around
I also thought the 12v cig lighter was in a good place for charging my phone but not for sat.nav and rear camera.
So I ran a pair of wires to another 12v socket which is hid behind the plastic compartment under the steering wheel then another in the back
Although I now have 3 x 12v sockets and LED lighting not everything is in use at the same time
Using a 15 amp fuse at the most I would have my phone and sat.nav and rear view cameras working at around 2 amp each
Haven't got my rear view camera yet but looking forward to it arriving

I have now no issues looking for equipment in the back of the van in dark nights

1 - 8 of 8 Posts