VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced all three courtesy bulbs with LED ones and have noticed that when all the doors are shut they are still giving off a very low glowing. If I put one of the standard bulbs back in this does not happen:confused:
The suppliers say it's because the LED bulbs need very little power to work and are picking up a small bit of power which is normal. Will this drain the power?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You need to clean up the door pin switches or replace them, they only cost about £3 each new. I had the same thing when I converted mine.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If the LED's are coming on (even a glow), then they ARE draining the battery, and there IS a fault. I'm told roughly 0.7v is required to notice an LED.

I would check the door switches first.
If they are ok, then my bet would be that you have a mild earth path leak somewhere within the bulbs contained circuit.

Top and bottom - you may go on for many years without this affecting any electrical components or they system. The drain whilst standing would be less that the alternator replaces once you go about your daily drive.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Cleaned and now working although the new bulbs still picking up current when doors are shut.
Hi.

If you remove the bulb, and place a meter on the terminals, you will notice that there is a perm power supply. The bulb operates by the switches going to ground. SO if the LED's are coming on even dim, there must be some earth leak.

You have the choice of isolating the light circuit and all the peripherals running from that circuit, and then cleaning all the ground points, checking for any areas that the wires could be going to ground - or just monitor the drain, and live with it as they say.

Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi.

If you remove the bulb, and place a meter on the terminals, you will notice that there is a perm power supply. The bulb operates by the switches going to ground. SO if the LED's are coming on even dim, there must be some earth leak.

You have the choice of isolating the light circuit and all the peripherals running from that circuit, and then cleaning all the ground points, checking for any areas that the wires could be going to ground - or just monitor the drain, and live with it as they say.

Good luck.

I've put an old bulb back in the cabin light and it's ok again just a different colour.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've put an old bulb back in the cabin light and it's ok again just a different colour.
Surely if you do that, the current drain is still there, just not noticable because it's not enough to make the filament glow?

Personally I'd leave the LED bulb in, and persevere with checking any earth points you can find until you get the culprit sorted, but that's just me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Surely if you do that, the current drain is still there, just not noticable because it's not enough to make the filament glow?

Personally I'd leave the LED bulb in, and persevere with checking any earth points you can find until you get the culprit sorted, but that's just me.
I'll have a word with my local auto spark and see if he can point me in the right direction as I'll be doing it for days.
I'm in the middle of trimming my interior window frames are just had windows fitted all round so that is a bit more mind pleasing for me.
Cheers for the help

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Don't forget to give us an update - good for other people in the same situation.

If you do get a moment, and feel like taking a look yourself.
Try the following first.

1. Put new LED back in, so that you can see the glow.
2. Remove screw from door/light switch, and pull out until nothing is touching body work (just wire passing through hole).
3. Take a look at the bulb each time you remove a switch.

This could narrow it down for you, and show you WHICH switch is playing silly buggers with ya. Don't forget the rear door/s.
(but thinking about it - the rear door switch is part of the locking system - a little more tricky).
It's just a simple trial and error process.

Either way - good luck. T:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget to give us an update - good for other people in the same situation.

If you do get a moment, and feel like taking a look yourself.
Try the following first.

1. Put new LED back in, so that you can see the glow.
2. Remove screw from door/light switch, and pull out until nothing is touching body work (just wire passing through hole).
3. Take a look at the bulb each time you remove a switch.

This could narrow it down for you, and show you WHICH switch is playing silly buggers with ya. Don't forget the rear door/s.
It's just a simple trial and error process.

Either way - good luck. T:

My rear door don't activate the lights either! Lol
Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got this exact same problem, my battery is draining down in about a week if I don't use the van. When I changed the middle interior light to an LED it stayed on all the time albeit dim which has lead me to believe the circuit is earthing somewhere. The LED died soon after I bought it so I need to buy a few more and start trying to locate the problem. Happy days :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Are my door switches faulty?
When I open the door interior lights come on as usual, but when I shut the doors the interior lights flash intermitantly?

·
Registered
531 Posts
in which Vehicles do the lights work in and which show a glow

If you take a bulb out does your vehicle say you have a bulb out?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
a van battery would power these leds for many weeks before flattening a van battery the amount they drain is almost none, if you have a flat battery that quickly it either something else or worn battery

1 - 20 of 21 Posts