VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all again, especially to all you auto sparkies on here! Im after your help PLEASE!

I looking to wire up my Seal design LED lights which can be seen on my build thread..... Sorry for this long winded description but i know little about electrics..

Basically i have 2 boxes of 10 LED's which i am aiming to use as mood lighting in the ceiling of the van.
Each led plugs into a junction box with laptop type power lead connections. Off this box is a lead which plugs into the mains (like a normal adaptor)

Obviously i don't want to use the mains adaptor (transformer) connection, so is it as straight forward as to just simply cut off the adaptor plug & wire the 2 wires which i would have just cut off into my split charge unit?
If so the end result would be 20 LED's plugged into 2 junction boxes of 10 each....... then the wires from each box, connected together via a single rocker or even 2 rockers for each set of LED's into the Split charge unit.

Or
do i not use the junction boxes & have all 20 led wires connected together somehow, via a switch into the split charge unit?

This might be easier to understand from viewing the pictures below????? It's probably simpler than the way i have described it, but.. as i said i know nothing about wiring things in & my electrician friend has yet to come back to me.

So each led has their own connection like this

and they plug into this junction box (5 on each side)

once all 10 are plugged in, the box has the adaptor plugging into the end of it.
If all this makes sense to you? please help with easy step by step instructions which i can follow or even pass onto someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just fitted same set a month ago. just cut the 3pin transformer plug off( one u plug into wall) and wired the lead onto the permanent live on roof lights with a £2 rocker switch inline to with on/off. negative to negative on roof lights. real easy as i haven't got a club about electrics.

need more help ring me 07716341565

ian

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
They are 12v led's all plugs and boxes are to make it 240v mains. I chucked all the plugs and transformers in the bin. If you wire them into the box that you plug all 10 into they wont be as bright.
also get one of these
Check it out on eBay!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are 12v led's all plugs and boxes are to make it 240v mains. I chucked all the plugs and transformers in the bin. If you wire them into the box that you plug all 10 into they wont be as bright.
also get one of these
Check it out on eBay!
Thanks for your advice Spen Dubz, I understand they are 12v led's, so in theory it should be simple to wire up LOL: that remote control box seems a nice touch to adjust the brightness & you say they wont be as bright if i use the supplied junction box? but dimming the lights with that unit on ebay is surely going to do the same thing?
I might as well stick with the box to keep them dimmer.....if thats the aim.

Don't mean to sound stupid or offend anyone, im just trying to work out the correct way which wont shorten the life of the led's...
I'm sure i have read somewhere that you shouldn't use dimmers for leds as its bad for them????? is that correct :confused:

Thanks so far though to you all for the replys, the more the better as it will help make it clearer for me or said electrician mate.

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
These are mine

they dont look that bright but if you stand eye level to them they blind you. I have put some in the roof so a dimmer IMO has to be used as when i lay in bed they will blind me if onT:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would the mood lighting be used with the engine running:*
Don't think so no, just for when were in the back parked up at campsites etc.

The idea being we will have 2 or 4 (unsure yet) bright white Led lights in the ceiling for the "main lighting" then on a seperate switch, have the 20 Blue leds as "mood lights" (lazing back with a beer)......T:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say you will need at least 8 for main lighting. I have 10 running down the centre of my roof and IMO it's just right .T:
is that with using the two standard lights also??? as i have changed the bulbs in these and its brighter already.... Just needs to be bright enough so we can sit in there and see each other/read a book etc.

What did you use for your main lights?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts