VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you guys inform myself and others what headlight options/upgrades are legal or illegal.
I and I am sure others would not wish to spend £s on headlights that would nice but would fail an MOT and Yes you could take them out and replace standard ones for the MOT but what a pain!

Thanks

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Pretty simple really

don't fit ones that are for LHD

don't fit HID's to a T4 they are illegal

fit a lighting upgrade kit and nightbreaker lamps (the standard VW wiring causes a voltage drop at the lights)

read up as much as possible and get various opinions (that one apply's to anything you do on your van)

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I know some have had mot issues with the audi style ones..its because your supposed to be able to see your front indicators from side on and you cant with the audi ones...i havnt by the way, mine passed without comment but iv seen leds put in the edge of the wing mirrors to act as side repeaters(indicators)
The wiring upgrade is a good idea....iv done this and its really easy.....there are kits out there for this....
Hid's are fine but not in the audi style ones as there cases are plastic and the heat tends to melt them.....fine in the standard glass headlight though!!
Iv got the audi style lights with the wiring upgrade and 100watt bulbs.........now i can see where im going!!
I know 100 bulbs are technically illegal but to honest my lights are no brighter than my cars lights......i think this is due to the poor reflectors in the lights........
i Hope iv shed a little light on that for youLOL:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hid's are fine but not in the audi style ones as there cases are plastic and the heat tends to melt them.....fine in the standard glass headlight though!!
The point of this thread is to stress which light upgrades are and are not illegal.

HID lights are most definitely illegal unless you also fit automatic self levelling headlight units with lenses specifically designed for HID bulbs and the van is equipped with headlight washers. THIS APPLIES TO ANY VEHICLE. Sticking HID bulbs in a standard glass headlight is ILLEGAL and as of next year will be a mot failure as headlight checks are becoming much more stringent (due to the increasing popularity of illegal HID headlight upgrades)

I know some have had mot issues with the audi style ones..its because your supposed to be able to see your front indicators from side on and you cant with the audi ones...i havnt by the way, mine passed without comment but iv seen leds put in the edge of the wing mirrors to act as side repeaters(indicators)
This would also make "audi style" headlights illegal, unless you installed the side repeater modification you mention.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Well you learn something new everyday.........iv seen plenty of vehicles ....vans included with hids.....my audi style lights are capable of being levelled via motor but as i stated itl melt the cover..........
Yes technically the audi ones are illegal......isnt that what i said????? Its really down to the mot tester......some pass them some fail them but once again technically illegal without the side repeater

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have a feeling that this thread sprang up because of another thread which was started recently. Look here

There is a good video on page two showing the ins and outs of the HID problems. (and some rather dubious 'urban experimenting' towards the end)

I do believe that some T4's may have been fitted with HID's at some point in time though. You can certainly get factory headlight washers for the T4. If this is the case, a legal upgrade would certainly be within the realms of possibility.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The idea of this thread is to help those people who wish to fit aftermarket headlights also those from other vehicles. So I was thinking if a list of some sort could be created from those in the know it could save those people who are on a tight budget a few quid.

So as it stands we know that HID bulbs are ILLEGAL unless fitted with a self leveling system and washers.
The T4 wiring upgrade with nightbreaker bulbs that are fitted in the standard T4 units are LEGAL.

OK what about the twin headlight replacment units you can get or the devil eye units you can get are these legal with standard bulbs (nightbreakers) or do these also need repeaters indicators on the wings?

Any others ?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
For what it's worth an hid fitted behind a projector lens will give the correct beam pattern. However because the unit is not designed for an hid it would on a technicality be illegal, headlamp washers IMO are useless anyway, and it is a requirement by law to keep your headlamps clean anyway. Self levelling should be fitted, but again if you don't load your van differently day to day would make no difference.....

Personally I'm more concerned about incorrect wheels and tyres being fitted to van.....

And I get dazzled every evening from poorly adjusted "normal" lights......

I think the basic guidelines here are they should not be fitted at all.

Audi headlamps need side repeaters as the lens does not have the side reflector built in to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Took mine for a mot with new lights of ebay in, mot guy said as long as beam ok no worries, but he did say some look for the ciorrect marking on the lense and ee number confirmation to

·
Registered
307 Posts
my audi style lights are capable of being levelled via motor ..........
Hi Taylorscamper,

I'm interested where you got your Audi style lights as I want some with the level by motor option but can only find manual adjust ones.
Also be good to see a pic so I can see what the 'fit' is like.

Cheers,

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts