VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are people out there who can advise me on this.

I've got a 2015 T5 campervan and last year fitted a 150W solar panel to the roof. I've just been away on holiday and found that the leisure battery seems to have stopped holding its charge - it's about 2 years old but has been fully discharged a few times (festival weekends with no hook-ups). By sunset on a nice day I'd have 14V but by the morning was down to 10 and a bit.

Also, from reading around I wonder if it really is a 'leisure' battery; apparently the term is used somewhat indiscriminately to describe batteries which are really designed to be starter batteries and which are not constructed in the special way which helps improve the deep cycling properties.

So I'm thinking of getting a new battery, going for one which is certificated as a real leisure battery. The question I have is whether the pattern of recharging you get from a solar panel (always on in the day and off at night) has any implications for the type of battery to go for.

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your solar panel controller should regulate the charging of the battery & also depending on how you set it e.g. flooded\agm\sealed decides what voltage it charges at. It depends on what drain you have from the battery overnight as to whether or not it is discharged in the morning. What amp\hr is the battery and what are you running from it overnight?.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shagged was my conclusion as well. It's claimed to be 80 A-h, and used to run a fridge for a couple of days with no charging, but no longer. Overnight now with just a fridge and tracker (probably small drain but not sure exactly) it runs down so much that the fridge stops.

My thoughts were also for an AGM battery, so I'll gofor that I think. Thanks all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my van the leisure battery has been squeezed into the engine compartment next to the starter battery and space is very tight indeed. I found this Leoch Adventurer (http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisure-batteries/85-ah-leoch-agm-leisure-battery/) on tinternet which would fit (I think), but I might also put a second battery under one of the front seats. I need to get a seat off and measure up properly. Anyone know anything about the brand?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts