VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are currently away with our T5 camper, driving along and suddenly all this smoke erupts from under the drivers seat! We’ve got a baby with us so we stopped immediately and got him out before trying to locate the problem which turned out to be the leisure battery- the wires are completely fried and part of the battery itself has melted.! No idea what could have caused this? AnywAy, we’ve got the van to a campsite and we’ve pitched up here until we can get the van to a garage because we’ve been told it isn’t safe to drive the van. The leisure battery is off and out of the van (currently being used as a tent weight) but the wires (what’s left of them) are still connected to the main battery/split charge? We’ve covered the wires with duct tape as we didn’t have any insulation tape, and now waiting for a garage to be open on Monday- how dangerous would it be to drive the van the way it is? We need food so at some point we’ve got to move the van and get to a shop and also get it to the garage.., I am concerned obviously because of having our baby with us, the dangers of driving it.? Or does anyone know how to disconnect the leisure battery leads from the main battery..? -save us a garage trip altogether..?
 

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
Joined
·
8,083 Posts
There should be a fuse holder close to the main battery in line with the cable that goes to the leisure battery - I would remove that fuse and that will remove all power to the leisure electric side.
Once that is done and you have already removed the leisure battery, you should be safe and have no immediate worries (but that is making assumptions of course).
You might find a helpful person at the campsite to assist? look for older converted campers rather than posh motorhomes as likely sources of knowledge ;)
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top