VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newly converted van, away once using the fridge/ lights of battery - lots of driving so battery re charged itself.

At home with new mains lead - I had hoped to 'charge up the battery' to full ( light only ever showed half full)

Having had mains charger on for 24 hours the charge is now on red ????? Err don't understand this.?????

Off tonight to Summerfest but no charge ( hopefully driving there will charge it up a bit). But why is my mains not charging it ??

Got 4 hours so any advice welcome

Ta folks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it sounds obvious... but sounds like no power from the charger....Was always told to look a simple things first... Is the charger switched on and plugged in?... Is there a fuse blown or RCD tripped... Simple check get 12v bulb and wire and see if power is coming from the charger to the leisure battery.
Cheers
Trevor

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Have you got a volt meter?

Measure the voltage on the terminals of the leisure battery

a, with everything off,
b, with engine running (and measure the voltage on the main battery too)
c, on the mains charger.

I think the battery will show 12.9 when its full and 12.0 when its getting low. It should be getting 14V with the engine running and poss a bit less on the mains charger? Check all the connections are tight and clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No think I will have to borrow a voltmeter - just thought I could charge the battery via the mains whilst at home - getting technical now ! Lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do you have a switch box on the electrical system? It sounds obvious, I did this at first,
make sure you have the switch ON allowing charge from the engine/Electric hook up. With the switch off, it just allows direct power from the electric hook up and wont charge the battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you !

Did suss it before reading but yes the obvious putting the switch down ........charging now

Bye off to Summerfest !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts