VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My leisure battery is showing as it is charging okay, but as soon as the engine is switched off and I check how much charge there is, the dial almost immediately swings to empty. During the short time with charge I am able to switch on lights but they dim and go off quickly.

My first thoughts were to replace the battery, but a new fully charged battery has exactly the same symptoms, I am completely stumped now.

any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, that's some kind of power drain! Has it always been like this or has it been working fine before? Trying to work out if it wired up wrong. You need to work your way through the problem, I assume the leisure battery is connected to a fuse box that powers lights, fridge, etc. if so remove all but one of the fuses and see if you still get power drain and hopefully that will let you know which circuit is causing the problems. It could also be your split charge unit, if that has somehow gone kaput then your main van battery could be pulling all the juice back to the main starter battery. Again, remove that fuse and see if you still have the problem.
If you would like more advice from the guys and gals here then we will need more info. Such as what split charge setup you are running, have you got a zig unit or secondary charger, what stuff have you got connected. This sounds like a simple problem to fix but you just need to work out what is bust.
I also don't want to scare you but if it is draining a brand new battery in minutes then that is a hell of a lot of current going somewhere. I would disconnect the earth of the leisure unless you are tracking the fault, don't want an electrical fire. Better safe than sorry.

Stu...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was cleverly disguised when I bought the van! Thankfully everything else is good and just passed the MOT no probs.
As I am completely clueless with electrical stuff (and most other under the bonnet) I took it into my garage, a fuse was changed and then after leaving it parked up overnight I was unable to start the van as it was completely flat, even the alarm was off, needed to reset clock and retune the radio! I jump started it and took it back to my garage who then took it to an electrical bod. This resulted me being charged £115.20 for a new smart charge relay and labour!
After all this the original problem still remains. The garage loaned me a new battery but the problem is still the same? they cannot believe that a new fully charged battery was drained completely within a day.
I am due to take it back so would like to be a bit knowledgable about it so as not to get ripped off.

so again if anyone has any ideas please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and yes the battery is connected to the usual lights, fridge, tap and cigarette type socket. Which are all switched off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is this effecting your main starter battery still? Where is the leisure battery situated and what is the smart charge relay? Brand and model name please. Have you got a regular battery charger? If so disconnect leisure from smart charger and charge overnight with regular charger, a smart charger is really only for topping up the leisure battery and it needs more than a 30minute run to charge it properly. Take out fuses for fridge, and cig socket, leave lights, does the battery drain overnight? No, then repeat process but disconnect lights and cig, leave fridge fuse in, if the fridge is on then I would expect that to drain a battery in about 2 days!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts