VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Feeling a bit ignorant and wondering if anyone can help please?
I'm trying to install my new leisure battery on a split charge system - see pic. It seems to have only two terminals, whereas the old one had three. The brown wire was attached to the third terminal. What is this wire and where does it go on my new battery? Is it an earth cable?
Thank you so much in advance
Hannah
PS the electrics are not working with the wiring done as per the picture.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
It seems to have only two terminals, whereas the old one had three. The brown wire was attached to the third terminal.
That's confusing, because it's not clear what you mean by "it"! If you mean that the battery had 3 terminals, that's very unusual, and it would help if you had a photo of the original battery. Sometimes they have what is known as a "shunt" fitted to one terminal, but that's not common - typically used if there is a power meter installed that shows how much power is being taken from the leisure battery.

If you mean that the split charge relay has only 2 terminals, on that type I think the earth connection is a flying lead rather than there being a terminal on the device. - that lead must obviously go to battery negative.

It would help if you were to follow the unconnected brown wire back and see what it connects to out of shot. Commonly, brown is used for negative (earth) connections in 12V systems, but it's not always the case...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes it was the old leisure battery that had three "terminals". Although I guess they were'nt all terminals. The brown wire comes from the split relay and was wired into that third "terminal".

that unconnected brown wire is connected to the split charge relay (see the bottom of the pic). Is it the earth for the split charge relay maybe?

Thank you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts