VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm in a campsite in Wales and my leisure battery is flat. It's been on the van about 4 yrs and has been discharged a lot over winter etc. it's an orange 110 a/ h from tonsure. I've also never topped it up with distilled water.

It charges either rough a sterling charger/ power pack off the 240 v hook up or via the ex aa wiring which is connected to the starter battery via a massive relay which I switch off and on inside the cab of the van ( used to used by the aa to jump start cars etc)

I've been meaning to get a vsr for a while as its a pain remembering to switch the switch to keep e battery charged.

Thing is the vans been on e hook up at home all week charging up nicely. The fridge is on and i set off yesterday and switched the charge switch about half way into the journey. At the site last night the fridge didn't come on ( waeco crp 40) when I checked e voltage across a light fitting it was 10.49v with my multimeter. The fridge cuts out at 10.5 and won't cut in again until 11.7v.

I'll check the battery electrolyte today and top up if needed. Might need a new battery. If so which one - 110ah or bigger. Also I need to sort outhit he charging from the engine. What's best considering I use the van a lot off hook ups and have a compressor fridge, invertor, propex, etc....

Jurassic on here had some sort of sterling battery to battery charger thing. Which one was that and how does that work? I have good thick cabling under the van to the terminals already which I reused from the aa.

Rich

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, 57 views and no posts.

In case anyone can help I've topped up the leisure battery which took a whole bottle of halfords distiller water. Put it on the sterling charger plugged into the hook up and it charged overnight to 13.6 when I unplugged the charger the voltage dropped straight away to 12.5 then after 5 hrs with the fridge on low ( on the thermostat so not on all the time) it measured 10.6 on my multimeter.

I guess the leisure battery is fried.

Where's the best place to get one and how's the best way to keep it in good condition if not using hook ups?

Burko

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
4 yrs isnt a bad life span

have you thought of a solar panel to top-up, i am looking at 80 - 100 W which for my use will keep it topped up

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Where in wales?
I am in pembs.bought new leisure battery yesterday dsr electrics in haverfordwest numax 110ah £82.50.had problems with fridge and propex heater, low voltage. failed to hold its charge.dont know age of battery.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think mines truly dead. Will get another one but need to regulate my alternator charge I reckon as I might be cooking it with the vehicle alternator charging it through jump lead type wires.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I would get rid of the massive solenoid that you have been using, it's probably fried anyway as they are only designed for intermittent use for short periods and replace it with a proper relay switched from the ign X relief circuit. I can supply you with the bits you need and the know how to fit it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dont know if you're still looking for a battery, but happened to be on Eurocarparts this afternoon looking for brake bits. They have 15% off all leisure batteries, made a 110Ah Lion one down to about £68. Plenty on there if you want different one. Worth I look I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts