VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so would appreciate any advice!

I bought my van from an electrician (hmmm) who had put in the conversion, which seemed to be great. However the leisure battery soon stopped working, so assuming it was rubbish I bought a new one. A few months later after some funny smells I found the battery had boiled dry (or something similar). My handy pals have tried to work out what might be wired up wrong as it seems the leisure battery was over-charging? or something.

I dont want to buy another leisure battery without sorting out the wiring...happy to take it to someone to sort it if anyone can recommend someone near Glasgow?

Thanks very much...

·
Registered
640 Posts
ummn might be easier to start again and scrap the split charger, theyer only a few quid on eBay item number:181373032282

·
Registered
813 Posts
how can it over charge?
the only place that it can take charge from is alternator or a seperate source like solar or mains charger.
if its only via split charge then check alternator

·
Registered
137 Posts
Might be worth checking your VSR. If both batteries are connected, the one with lower voltage will 'leech' from the higher voltage. This continues as both alternately draw from each other, eventually discharging both batteries.

Of course, if your alternator is charging the cranking battery (and the leisure batt) this may not be so noticeable... but what you will notice is that your leisure battery doesn't like the high current draw when you turn the engine over. They are built for slow discharge and can't handle the excessive demands of starting the engine.

Result is one dead battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts