VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a pretty simple Smartcom relay which was working fine.

Leisure Battery is fully charged off a mains charger, but wasn't showing any charge on voltage meter in van.

I checked the relay and the in-line fuse between it and the live battery terminal was slightly melted, and holder fooked.

I've now changed the fuse holder and fuse, and the leisure battery shows a full charge while ignition is on/engine running, and power to sockets, but very soon after taking key out of ignition it drops back down to nothing, and no power to the sockets. So the battery must be ok, but something's going wrong somewhere.

Anyone had a similar issue? Are there any other fuses which may need attention?

Graham

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, we're away for the weekend, so any quick replies appreciated as I can't get an auto electrician until next Wednesday. :)

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Either your battery is FUBAR or there is a fuse close to the leisure battery (likely) that has blown.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either your battery is FUBAR or there is a fuse close to the leisure battery (likely) that has blown.
Battery is pretty new, and shows as fully charged as soon as the ignition kicks in, so pretty sure it's ok. I have changed the fuse once, but might double check it now I've swapped out the one near the main battery.
Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When the engine's running your voltmeter will just be showing alternator voltage, which doesn't tell you anything about the leisure battery :)

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
When the engine's running your voltmeter will just be showing alternator voltage, which doesn't tell you anything about the leisure battery :)
Absolutely right, and if your leisure battery is indeed flat that is why the fuse keeps blowing,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts