VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm after some advice, I had a leisure battery wired up in my old van with no issues, I have now re-wired it into my new van the same way and fitted it into a cupboard ( the common style ones running down the full length side of van). It has been wired up but this morning noticed that the main power lead was loose so disconnected it and went out for the day, I came back tonight and went to re-connect the power.
At this point I opened up the cupboard door and noticed it was hot, the battery/wires/fuse box are not hot, there is water running down the sides of the battery, I tasted the water and it is not acid.
Like I said the battery has had no power going to it and nothing has been connected to draw any power but there is water all around the battery and now I'm worried as water and electric don't mix.
Any advice would help
 

·
Special Rapporteur
Joined
·
9,793 Posts
You say the battery was ~not~ hot, so my guess would just be condensation. Probably a bit of damp inside the cupboards which has led to high humidity as the van warmed up.

As long as you don't have mains electric involved, don't get too concerned about water and 12V electrics mixing - it's too low a voltage to be a danger, though it's not good long-term, as it tends to lead to corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Hi all,
I'm after some advice, I had a leisure battery wired up in my old van with no issues, I have now re-wired it into my new van the same way and fitted it into a cupboard ( the common style ones running down the full length side of van). It has been wired up but this morning noticed that the main power lead was loose so disconnected it and went out for the day, I came back tonight and went to re-connect the power.
At this point I opened up the cupboard door and noticed it was hot, the battery/wires/fuse box are not hot, there is water running down the sides of the battery, I tasted the water and it is not acid.
Like I said the battery has had no power going to it and nothing has been connected to draw any power but there is water all around the battery and now I'm worried as water and electric don't mix.
Any advice would help
You tasted to see if it is acid....:cool:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top