VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im after a leisure battery that will fit under the front passenger seat ive got my lights wired up tested them with a car battery looking coolT:So now i need the battery & also how to wire it up to the alternater & all the bits n' bobs needed to do this any pics ideas would be fab :D

Keep on rocking in the free world:db

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I just bought a 100ah for mine. Fits perfectly front to back as it's 302mm long.
Now just got to find a way to secure it :confused:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dee-jay do you have a web site for them any ideas on wiring up to the alternator ? Your head lights are cool as T:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Can't tell you how to wire them up to the alternator i'm afraid. I'm going down the mains smart charger route.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
No worries
I have put pictures of the van in my album on my user profile. Just don't know if anyone else can view them. If you take a look let me know mate. T:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry im a noob you'l av to fill me in on the mains smart-charger route wot ever is the easyway that will do me.Looked at your pics nice van dude T:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The smart chargers are a clever little device that you can leave connected to your car battery or leisure battery for months at a time without damage. No need to disconnect any terminals.
I will use this to charge my battery before trips, and while i'm away use the site hook up if it needs topping up. The way i see it what's the point of a split charge kit if your parked up on site for a few days without driving the van. Your leisure battery ain't gonna get charged if you ain't driving the van. I was considering a solar panel if i had'nt seen the smart charger.
Have a look here. http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ctek/xs3600-car-battery-charger-and-conditioner.aspx

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dont wire to alternator, use an intelligent split charge relay. I fitted a 110ah in my twin seat at one end, had to cut the bulge out of the seat base on one side and will cover with a heater vent when done.

I made a battery tray and strap, well a template and had it cut from stainless. Mine mounts ontop of 4 of the seat nuts.

intelligent split charge, all you need is a bug fused wire from the starting battery, this goes into relay one side and then the connector goes to the positive on the leisure battery. A small wire goes from relay to earth, and of course earth the leisure battery....

The way it works is it sees when there is a voltage more then 13.2 and then switches to allow the leisure battery to charge, when u switch off it then sees the voltage drop and closes the relay - job done

I only know this as I am doing it at the moment! I'm just looking for an LCD diplay for my leisure battery, which I think I just found!

·
Registered
487 Posts
The smart chargers are a clever little device that you can leave connected to your car battery or leisure battery for months at a time without damage. No need to disconnect any terminals.
I will use this to charge my battery before trips, and while i'm away use the site hook up if it needs topping up. The way i see it what's the point of a split charge kit if your parked up on site for a few days without driving the van. Your leisure battery ain't gonna get charged if you ain't driving the van. I was considering a solar panel if i had'nt seen the smart charger.
Have a look here. http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ctek/xs3600-car-battery-charger-and-conditioner.aspx
That C-tek is very good I have one that keeps the life in my jetski battery! T:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cheers jean-genie.
And thanks for all the help with my leisure battery questions mate. Got everything now just got to put it all together.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Have you got a link for the lcd display for the leisure battery mate.
certainly.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-LCD-Digital-Voltage-Volt-Meter-Voltmeter-Panel-20V-/320571546721?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4aa38d9c61

I will order one of these and then pop to maplin to get a push-to-make or momentary switch, my plan is to fit this in the seat base facing the back so i can have a quick check, probably be able to push it with my toe so I dont have to get up H:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dose any one have any ideas on what size batterys I can get under the double front seat on a t5.1 I was hoping to get 2 battery in there

1 - 20 of 48 Posts