VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Leoch xr1750 110ah is what I have got but I had to cut out one of indents at the back of the double seat to get it to fit, fits in nicely when it’s done though
View attachment 175782
Sorry for reviving this old thread, however just what I am looking for. I have just bought these batteries and have a pair so need one under the front bench.

@timster66 did you try fitting the batteries on its side? I've just measured up and it's definitely tight. I don't particularly want to cut a whole in my seat base.

I'll be making up a tray for it out of sheet metal, so I am not concerned if it doesn't sit on the floor. I was planning to have it just below the top.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry for reviving this old thread, however just what I am looking for. I have just bought these batteries and have a pair so need one under the front bench.

@timster66 did you try fitting the batteries on its side? I've just measured up and it's definitely tight. I don't particularly want to cut a whole in my seat base.

I'll be making up a tray for it out of sheet metal, so I am not concerned if it doesn't sit on the floor. I was planning to have it just below the top.
No worries mate. I did measure up for it on its side and yeah it was very tight but I still don’t think it would have fitted due to the curved underside of the double seat. It might have done, just, but without going to the hassle of making a base and trying I guess I’ll never know lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
No worries mate. I did measure up for it on its side and yeah it was very tight but I still don’t think it would have fitted due to the curved underside of the double seat. It might have done, just, but without going to the hassle of making a base and trying I guess I’ll never know lol
Thanks for the feedback that's handy.

I gave it a shot this afternoon now batteries have been delivered. It is so close on it's side but just sticks out a little too far and stops the seat shutting.

So, out comes the angle grinder. My plan is to cut the kick-step out and weld in a replacement plate similar to what you have done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the feedback that's handy.

I gave it a shot this afternoon now batteries have been delivered. It is so close on it's side but just sticks out a little too far and stops the seat shutting.

So, out comes the angle grinder. My plan is to cut the kick-step out and weld in a replacement plate similar to what you have done.
No probs mate. I originally planned to rivet a plate over it but covered with carpeted ply with an inlayed LED strip in the end

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dont wire to alternator, use an intelligent split charge relay. I fitted a 110ah in my twin seat at one end, had to cut the bulge out of the seat base on one side and will cover with a heater vent when done.

I made a battery tray and strap, well a template and had it cut from stainless. Mine mounts ontop of 4 of the seat nuts.

intelligent split charge, all you need is a bug fused wire from the starting battery, this goes into relay one side and then the connector goes to the positive on the leisure battery. A small wire goes from relay to earth, and of course earth the leisure battery....

The way it works is it sees when there is a voltage more then 13.2 and then switches to allow the leisure battery to charge, when u switch off it then sees the voltage drop and closes the relay - job done

I only know this as I am doing it at the moment! I'm just looking for an LCD diplay for my leisure battery, which I think I just found!
Thats the way to go, you can get a kit of bits off the bay of evil, but a reasonbly competent person can wire it up themselves. As the man says, automatically charges when the engine runs then switches off when the voltage drops.
I use a solar charge controller too, that switches the load off when the voltage drops to a preset figure, so your coolbox or whatever will not damage the battery.

Rhys

41 - 48 of 48 Posts