VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a local guy wire some drl's and the wiring for the leisure battery under the double passenger seat bench. See the picture below with the split charge system. I assume the red lead will go to the positice on the leisure battery, do I need to fit an earth to the negative? or what else do I need to get. Sorry Im a bit useless on the electrical front.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Hi

If you are asking about the leisure battery then yes it does have to be earthed. When I install split charge systems under the seats in T4s or T5s I just attach a suitable earth lead to one of the bolts which hold the seat down but make sure if its painted then you remove as much as you can to get a good earth

If you are asking about the day time running lights then i would presume they will be earthed where they are going to be fixed ?

sorry if this isnt very helpful but may need some more info

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yup, an inline fuse is spot on.

When you connect the 12v sockets or lights, you can either connect the earth return to a nearby convenient body earthing point or wire it back to the battery - either is good

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
There are proper earth points under the seats, just fold the rubber mat back and you will see them. For fuse boxes look here
http://www.travelvolts.com/Wiring-accessories.html

And ask your fitter guy why he has used cable that isn't up to the job on your split charge system!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah im glad some one else has noticed the inadaqate wiring,I only use 16mm cable on our split charge systems,load rated at 200 Amps,there is a major amount of current in the system,we run a 100 Amp Maxxy fuse both ends of the circuit too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all

I've asked this question previously, but no answer.

The wiring for a pms3 unit, so the feed from both the main batt and leisure batt what size cable should this be?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have to agree with Martin on the +ve feed size to your leisure battery. Looks like 4 or 6mm2 which is too small to cope with a large current surge from the alternator should your leisure battery be drained very low and you'll end up blowing fuses. I'd recommend 16mm2 minimum.

Some more options for fuseboxes for you:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/fuse-boxes.html

Forum discount details: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=304643

Cheers,
Paul
looks like the wiring kit is the type that piggy backs off the main battery and trickle charges the leisure battery, so not connected directly to the alternator . A cheap but ok set up would have thought , so long as fused correctly

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks like the wiring kit is the type that piggy backs off the main battery and trickle charges the leisure battery, so not connected directly to the alternator . A cheap but ok set up would have thought , so long as fused correctly
It is as you say a trickle charger so there is no big surge coming through here. And it is correctly fused.

Assume this is correct?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The amount of current that your battery will try to take from the alternator is dictated by the state of charge of the battery, not by the charging equipment connected to it. If you run your battery low this equipment will likely fail.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
To be honest it needs to be capable of handling the max output of the alternator to be safe. So 90 amps plus.
I do one but it would be unfair of me to recommend my own system:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts