VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting a split charge system to my sons 1996 T4. T:
Is there a better place to connect to the blue wire on the alternator, rather than running a cable from the alternator to 86 on the relay. :confused: Does that blue wire run up to the fuse box or anywhere near it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fitting a split charge system to my sons 1996 T4. T:
Is there a better place to connect to the blue wire on the alternator, rather than running a cable from the alternator to 86 on the relay. :confused: Does that blue wire run up to the fuse box or anywhere near it.
Is there any reason why I can`t use the glove box light connection for the switching on and off, the glove box light only comes on when the ignition is switched on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is there any reason why I can`t use the glove box light connection for the switching on and off, the glove box light only comes on when the ignition is switched on.
To be honest as long as you are getting a 12v switched feed when the ignition is on then you 'should' be able to use it. I'm not sure about the glove box light though, as I can't remember if it uses a negative or positive switch?

Anyway its just as easy to wire it to the fuse box seeing as there is a grommet to the engine bay that is directly behind it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
...The whole idea is that the relay does not switch until the engine is running and the alternator is charging.
If you switch the relay by just turning the ignition on you stand the risk of running the starter battery flat or blowing a fuse T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts