VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got my t32 lwb transporter and i want a leisure battery with 240v hook up. Can anyone recomend anything decent and how you fit them? Cheers, James

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,045 Posts
Will any battery work or is there a specific type i need?
It partly depends where you want to install it, as that determines the room available; and then what you need to get out the battery in terms of running time and capacity. Might want to post more info on how you plan to use the camper to help us size the capacity?

If you are looking to install under the seat, then you will need a low profile battery (and actually lower then most that are described as "Low Profile") - Martyn at Travelvolts sells a tried and trusted 100Ah Low Profile battery that fitted under a T5 seat (the DC120 is the model if I recall correctly)

·
8,045 Posts
Thanks for reply dude! And i plan to use TV, Playstation, laptop, phone charging?
Fridge or Coolbox as well?
Best thing to do is make a list of the kit you want to power like above, check the power consumption of each (this is usually written near the power sockets or on the transformers) and how long you are likely to run them each day and you will end up with a total daily power use.

So for example:
TV: 60W (= 5Ah @ 12V) x 4 hours = 20Ah
Playstation: 84W (= 7Ah @ 12V) x 2 Hours = 14Ah
12V Fridge: ave 1.2Ah x 24 Hours = 29Ah
Device Charging: 0.5A x 6 Hours = 3Ah
Laptop: 36W (= 3A @ 12V) x 3 Hours = 9Ah
Lights (LED): 1A x 4 Hours = 4Ah
(All numbers just assumptions ;) )

So in a full day in numbers above, you will use 69Ah. Shouldn't run a battery down more then 50%, so this would "use up" a 140Ah battery in a day. Obviously on hook up the power would come via the charger, and you will be topping up the battery at the same time, plus when you are driving, the split-charge will be recharging the battery, so the 69Ah draw will usually work out a fair bit less.
If you will usually be on hookup and just the occasional night away, a 100 or 100Ah battery would be good I would think. You could also in the future add Solar, which is pretty effective even in the the UK in the main camping season, if you need longer running off-grid T:

·
8,045 Posts
When you are drving, you will be putting in maybe 5-20A per hour depending on how much charge your battery had so if your usage was 69Ah in a day and you drive say 3 hours the next morning, you'll have put back a lot of the capacity.
If some devices are being used when driving (say TV and Playstation at the back) then the split-charge rate should compensate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts