VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I have killed another Leisure battery as my Solar panel died and I didnt realise the VSR fuse had blown aswell.
While I sort out new solar panels for the van I also want to upgrade the charger and look to be going for the Ablemail ABMC 1230 DC-DC on Upspex recommendation.

I am also looking to go with the Leoch Gel battery but I was also hoping to increase capacity.

Is 110ah the max size to be put under the T5 driver seat or is it possible to increase this to maybe a 150ah or has anyone fitted any other larger capacity under the seat?

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-150ah-leoch-powabloc-tubular-gel-leisure-battery-gtp12150/

GTP-12150 - GTP-12110
Length 328 - 330
Width 180 - 180
Height inc. 288 - 234
Amp hour 150 - 110

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
As far as I know the max height you can go under the seat without catching on the sliding mechanism is 195mm. 175mm if you have a swivel plate. 288mm is pretty tall but Gel batteries can be laid on their side. Downside of gel is they are not over keen on VSR split charging from alternator.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan would be to put it on its side and change to the Abelmail DC-DC chargers so that will work
I have seen on here that the 12110 which is 234mm can go (on its side) under the seat but wandering if the 288mm would also fit?

Alternatively has anyone used anything higher that 110 Ah batteries under the seat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Be careful I think the maximum charging current is 20 amps you may have a problem if the battery gets quite flat and you drive off using the alternator to charge the battery?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Over the winter I have killed another Leisure battery as my Solar panel died and I didnt realise the VSR fuse had blown aswell.
While I sort out new solar panels for the van I also want to upgrade the charger and look to be going for the Ablemail ABMC 1230 DC-DC on Upspex recommendation.

I am also looking to go with the Leoch Gel battery but I was also hoping to increase capacity.

Is 110ah the max size to be put under the T5 driver seat or is it possible to increase this to maybe a 150ah or has anyone fitted any other larger capacity under the seat?

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-150ah-leoch-powabloc-tubular-gel-leisure-battery-gtp12150/

GTP-12150 - GTP-12110
Length 328 - 330
Width 180 - 180
Height inc. 288 - 234
Amp hour 150 - 110

thanks
this is exactly what set up i have, if you look in my albums you can see how i set it up.:)
i had a steel L plate welded into base, and have battery on its side, secured with a battery clamp. pm me if you want more info :t

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Leoch battery that fits under the chair is only available at 110Ah:

On ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110-...2:g:1nUAAOSwDVlbiAma:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

But I fitted two, one under each seat, it did take a bit of doing, but they DO fit laid on their side, with the terminals at the upper front. I made a clamp to keep them solid (you don't want them chaffing) Both seats have swivels (single passenger) and that did give me some stress as there is even less height, but it worked out.

Use a modern Battery to Battery charger, (NOT the old relay type) the "Stirling Power B to B" is best, it can charge any type of battery with the RIGHT charge voltage, AGM in the Leoch for instance, it will not pull down the start battery, that is it's first charging task, then moves onto the leisure battery, charging it as fast and as much as it needs. The charger lives under the passenger seat very neatly. Use the correct amp cable for the run, DON'T skimp!!

Here: https://sterling-power.com/products/2015-battery-to-battery-chargers-non-waterproof-drip-proof-ip21

I hope this helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank changa I have seen you set up. Yours is the 110ah. It’s the 150 ah. I am trying to gage and if the extra 6cm would stop it fitting.

Hilo. Do you have any pictures of your layout? I have a double passenger on a swivel so cannot use that and I really want to get more than a 110ah under the drivers as I have had 2 over the years and really never lasted more than a few days. Without the need of hookup. Now it might of been my solar issues but I was really hoping this next battery could be larger as I seem to be limited to one battery

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Del, Ive tried to upload more pictures to my album but can't? I cant even create another album to add more pictures either!!

I do have some more pictures looking under seat with battery in situ, and by the look of it, I think the 12110 is about as large as you can go. if you're happy to pm me your email, i'll send some more to you?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Del, I don't know how a double seat swivel works, but could it be possible to add a couple of this type of connector: https://goo.gl/p3mvy2 . ?

I used to use one of these in my T2 to enable easy removal of battery. 120Amp rated.

Is it possible to fit one of these, i.e. unplug it, swivel seat, and plug it in once seat swivelled? I would mention you would need to ensure there is no load on at the time of disconnection to avoid arcing, maybe add an isolation switch? A bit of a faf, but may solve your issue if it is a possibility with swivel?

Also, if considering the Ablemail, there is a B2B that incorporates solar input with built in MPPT; I think its the AMS 12-12-30. Martyn at Travelvolts sells it, I'm going to upgrade and sell my Abelmail AMC 12-12-30

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Del, I don't know how a double seat swivel works, but could it be possible to add a couple of this type of connector: https://goo.gl/p3mvy2 . ?

I used to use one of these in my T2 to enable easy removal of battery. 120Amp rated.

Is it possible to fit one of these, i.e. unplug it, swivel seat, and plug it in once seat swivelled? I would mention you would need to ensure there is no load on at the time of disconnection to avoid arcing, maybe add an isolation switch? A bit of a faf, but may solve your issue if it is a possibility with swivel?

Also, if considering the Ablemail, there is a B2B that incorporates solar input with built in MPPT; I think its the AMS 12-12-30. Martyn at Travelvolts sells it, I'm going to upgrade and sell my Abelmail AMC 12-12-30

I just messaged you. Cheers

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Sure is. Please note that you will need to fit a piece of 10mm ply or MDF across the seat base between the fixing reinforcings so that the battery doesn't sit on the curled up edges of the reinforcements.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yes it will but the above comment will also apply ref raising the battery slightly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts