VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 1999 T4 whats the min I can do register a compliant vehicle ?
it has a Caravelle interior....do I go minibus or motorhome route, its under 2.5 tonne

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
To go mini bus you need 10 seats.

Well thats what they told me when i spoke to them.

Best option is motor home.

Theres a few websites with nothing but all the info you need to be able to re-register as motor home

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
You are not going to be able to make it a compliant minibus, so motor home is really your only route.

I think maybe in 2018 things will change yet again and it will not matter what it is, it just won't be compliant (so I have been told ..... but things change). And if they introduce the ULEZ ................. the same will apply, but over a smaller area ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mines a 1999 2.5tdi registered as a motor caravan and its not LEZ compliant so I'd be interested to know how to make it compliant if anyone can help also

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Londn and recently imported a 2.5 TDI T4 multivan from Germany. After talking to the LEZ staff they told me to have it registered as an MPV which would make it exempt. DVLA required some pictures to prove that it was a factory built people carrier but changed it without any problems. Not sure whether this would work for a camper, but for a caravelle I'd imagine this would should be the way forward..

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Minibus is a specific EU definition and is eight passenger seats plus driver.
MPV sits below this at eight seats including driver.

If you have a Caravelle, then in the UK it always fitted into the MPV config.

Many VW garages could not master this and applied for first registration of a minibus coz thats what it looked like. !!!

VW should be able to provide original build data from your chassis number or registration that you can use to advise the DVLA or whatever its called this week. The issue sits around what the vehicle was supplied as.

Thye may want photos with an application form completed or want to see the vehicle.

You can apply for a reclassification post modification which is a slightly different path. Check with DVLA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was a panel van but now has full Velle interior and glass all round.
do you think the DVLA would reclassify it to MPV

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You can but ask them, or have a read around their info

Try these two searches through Google.

On site search reclassifying vehicle type site:www.vwt4forum.co.uk

General search dvla vehicle classification change

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
You are not going to be able to make it a compliant minibus, so motor home is really your only route.

I think maybe in 2018 things will change yet again and it will not matter what it is, it just won't be compliant (so I have been told ..... but things change). And if they introduce the ULEZ ................. the same will apply, but over a smaller area ;)
There is a key bit of terminology with the LEZ which is worth keeping in mind ...

You can have a COMPLIANT vehicle, and a NON-COMPLIANT vehicle, but the 3rd option is "NOT SUBJECT TO LEZ"
If you reregister your non-compliant panel van to a Motor Caravan and it is under 2.5t, then it does not make it complaint, it makes it exempt from LEZ, same as all Motor Cars are.

If you want to drive within the CC zone as well as the LEZ then a 9 seater Caravelle should be the best option, as a vehicle with 9 seats or more can be exempt from CC charges if you register it with TfL (£10/annum charge).
I know it is a newer vehicle then the OP has, but my Shuttle is "Not Subject to LEZ" (note, not Compliant) and is currently exempt from CC fees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had my 2000 T4 Trident weighed and replated at just under 2.5 and all's now good with it in LEZ.

Congestion charge a different matter, just avoid it or pay daily (£60 fine if you don't) or you can register for automatic payments if you do happen to enter it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Have a read here:-
Ultra LEZ https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

LEZ https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone

LEZ Vehicle Types https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected?intcmp=2266 Note different rules apply to vehicles first registered before 1st Jan 2002, and some rules are waiting for date related triggers to bring them into effect.

LEZ approach on LGV, Vans, Minibuses and 4x4 plus Case Studies) https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected/lgvs-vans-minibuses-and-4x4s

You will also see how Land-Rovers get very special treatment (or is it favoritism )

I have an original build Caravelle, I spent quite a while trying to get it correctly exempted. Originally there was no support to handle exceptions unless it was a lorry. When the LEZ became active the wider impact was felt and action taken.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
There is a key bit of terminology with the LEZ which is worth keeping in mind ...

You can have a COMPLIANT vehicle, and a NON-COMPLIANT vehicle, but the 3rd option is "NOT SUBJECT TO LEZ"
If you reregister your non-compliant panel van to a Motor Caravan and it is under 2.5t, then it does not make it complaint, it makes it exempt from LEZ, same as all Motor Cars are.

If you want to drive within the CC zone as well as the LEZ then a 9 seater Caravelle should be the best option, as a vehicle with 9 seats or more can be exempt from CC charges if you register it with TfL (£10/annum charge).
I know it is a newer vehicle then the OP has, but my Shuttle is "Not Subject to LEZ" (note, not Compliant) and is currently exempt from CC fees.
Did the small print thing years ago as I live right on the edge of it ............... compliant, exempt whatever it will change agin.

It's all about what to do to be allowed in at the present time, not what badge you are wearing T: They are all listed on the 'compliance checker'.

The not subject to only states the following anyway "According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time"
Next time it will probably fail miserably :*

We most of us are only on borrowed time ........... take Germany as an example ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts