VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have been reading a couple of other threads about the LEZ and I still don't quite understand what I should do - I have a LWB T4 TDI, which is classed as a Motor Caravan on the V5 (It was converted by Bilbos I believe - pop top, etc)
My van is non-compliant come 2010, from what I can glean, I think it's because the Gross Vehicle Weight is 2800? ( needs to be under 2500 for a Motor Caravan to be exempt?)
One guy (Bobley?) got his van GVW downgraded - is that going to be possile for my van?
Seeing as I basically use it for Transporting myself and windsurfing kit to and from the wet stuff, I don't need a large payload. But is there anything physically done for this , or is it just paperwork?
And if I go down that route, how long will that protect me from TFL for?
If I'm going to have to get a newer van I want to do it before this one is worthless...so I need to decide soon.
Any advice gladly received.
Ta
Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already know it's not compliant after 2010 - question is, if I change the GVW will it make it compliant?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i started down the route of getting my van restickered and the bloke i spoke to (at the same place as bobley went to) said it was simply a paper excercise to get the van downrated. not sure why, or how that can be, but he said he didn't need to see the van, just needed the info from the plate. surely if that were the case, we could all get resticked down to motorcycle weights and be free of tax??

i stopped as i realised the lez had the wrong details on file for my bus. my 1992 t4 has a gvw of 2500and unladen weight of 1450, and has a pre-euro engine. after registration my papers came back as being 'NOT SUBJECT TO LEZ', even past 3rd jan 2012.. :confused:

its very weird, and confusing, and i'm sure no matter what we do, we'll get stung as they'll simply move the goalposts.

i'd give the replating guys a call, and ask them whats involved in it and whether it will stand up to inspection as you don't want to go through all the trouble then be faced with a £100 fine

good luck. sucks facing the prospect of losing your van..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
At the moment it seems that "replating" is the best way forward...

... I'm sure a legitimate company would need to see the vehicle they are replating though...

You will get a new chassis number sticker and they will log the new details with DVLA, making your Camper LEZ exempt overnight.

The cost - about £50.00

Next question:

Who does Replating?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Contacted SVTech (.co.uk) who said that can do it for £100 + vat. They need a Weighbridge ticket to prove that the van is running under the weight I will be declaring as the Gross Vehicle Weight, otherwise I'm opening myself up to prosecution if I'm found to be using it overloaded, so it's off to the councile weighbridge (£4) to get it weighed.
I'll let you all know how I get on, but it certainly sounds promising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts