VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, after I thought Boris saw sense, it was only a delaying tactic to enable tradesmen to buy a newer van...

Never mind the hardpressed families who own recycled vans that have driven through their lifetime CO2 emissions "quota"...

Never mind the fact that new Cats supplied by VW incorporate Particulate Traps to bring your EU2 spec van up to EU3 spec (in Germany Cats must be replaced every five years)...

Never mind the fact that the likes of new Range Rovers and Audi Q7's weigh more and drink more fuel than any T4 ever did...

At least, any Camper conversion on a 800 Special or 888 Special are exempt, and all T4's sold after January 2002 are deemed to be EU3 compliant, whether they are or not...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Im lead to believe that this is the europe wide regulation and this wont be changed !
I could be wrong thou

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you mean this?

www.lowemissionzones.eu

All diesel vans are affected, but lets just think about the vehicles that get around the London LEZ...

All the smoky (I mean PM10 emitting) old T3 (Type 25) diesel campers which are EU1 - because they weigh in at less than 2500kg...

All T4 800/888 Special based campers including the EU1 (smoky) T4a 1.9D (which is EU1), the EU2 TD and the EU2 TDI - that's the 888 special - because they weigh in at less than 2500kg...

Of course Transport for London's mission is to get all these smoky old vehicles off the road - but the 800/888's were the mainstay of the UK Transporter range, which can only be described as a niche vehicle anyway...

Naturally, the only cost effective way to get round the London LEZ is to replate/downplate your 1000kg/1200kg van based camper to under 2500kg (as previously discussed)

However, this does not necessarily apply elsewhere in Europe, where they rightly make proper use of the Emissions standards, but looking at the lists for all the other countries, LEZ's apply to weight limits over 3.5 tonnes...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Do you mean this?

www.lowemissionzones.eu

All diesel vans are affected, but lets just think about the vehicles that get around the London LEZ...

All the smoky (I mean PM10 emitting) old T3 (Type 25) diesel campers which are EU1 - because they weigh in at less than 2500kg...

All T4 800/888 Special based campers including the EU1 (smoky) T4a 1.9D (which is EU1), the EU2 TD and the EU2 TDI - that's the 888 special - because they weigh in at less than 2500kg...

Of course Transport for London's mission is to get all these smoky old vehicles off the road - but the 800/888's were the mainstay of the UK Transporter range, which can only be described as a niche vehicle anyway...

Naturally, the only cost effective way to get round the London LEZ is to replate your 1000kg/1200kg van based camper to under 2500kg (as previously discussed)

However, this does not necessarily apply elsewhere in Europe, where they rightly make proper use of the Emissions standards, but looking at the lists for all the other countries, LEZ's apply to weight limits over 3.5 tonnes...

When I look at it last caravells were exempt as they were classed as mini busses
Or something like that Its also a 2002 registered vehicle

I looked coz I had to take someone into London and didn’t realize the lez was there and by the time I did realize it was too late I was in it

Lots of sweating later, thinking I had just incurred a 200 quid bill
I found this

15 Jan 2010 to 03 Oct 2010 Not Subject to LEZ
What does not subject to the Low Emission Zone mean?

According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time.

04 Oct 2010 to 02 Jan 2012 Compliant What does compliant mean?
The vehicle meets the required Low Emission Zone standards at this time.

03 Jan 2012 to onwards Compliant What does compliant mean?
The vehicle meets the required Low Emission Zone standards at this time.

A very large glass of something rather strong was consumed in relief

·
Registered
90 Posts
TFL's website saysmy 800 special is non-compliant after Oct 2010. I think they have made a mistake as my weight it too low. Total madness.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So my 2003 888Xpack should be fine then.Rasp:

TFL's website saysmy 800 special is non-compliant after Oct 2010. I think they have made a mistake as my weight it too low. Total madness.

Only if they are registered as motor caravans, like mine is...

There seems to be some confusion still as to when the LEZ kicks in - the TFL website still says October 2010, VOSA officials say January 2012 when EU3 vans will be included which includes T5's upto January 2006, I've been told, although I was under the impression that this only applied to vehicles over 3.5 tonnes as stated on the TFL website...

I'm waiting for a definitive answer on this, yet I'm passed from pillar to post as with the downplating/downrating question which is applied to American SUV imports...

·
Registered
140 Posts
So it seems your ok if your van is registered after 01/01/2002, or under 2500Kgs. (1.205 tonnes) unladen weight, OR, you have a motor caravan which is less than 2.5 tonnes.

Seemingly Boris et al are quite happy for me to leave my 2.5TDi (which runs at just under 40mpg) at home and take the 4.2 V8 petrol beast that struggles to get 20mpg so they can reduce emissions in the big smoke (scuse pun).

Has anyone altered their non compliant vehicle to meet the Euro III standard, or challenged TFL suggesting their vehicle is actually compliant?

For anyone who has modded - any recommendations/suggestions? Group buy anyone?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it seems your ok if your van is registered after 01/01/2002, or under 2500Kgs. (1.205 tonnes) unladen weight, OR, you have a motor caravan which is less than 2.5 tonnes.

Seemingly Boris et al are quite happy for me to leave my 2.5TDi (which runs at just under 40mpg) at home and take the 4.2 V8 petrol beast that struggles to get 20mpg so they can reduce emissions in the big smoke (scuse pun).

Has anyone altered their non compliant vehicle to meet the Euro III standard, or challenged TFL suggesting their vehicle is actually compliant?

For anyone who has modded - any recommendations/suggestions? Group buy anyone?
or under 2500Kgs

this only applies to the Gross Vehicle Weight of Motor Caravans, otherwise all diesel T4 vans are not exempt unless they are EU3 compliant...

2.5TDi

registered motor caravans built on the blue i 888 special chassis are exempt...

as are all TDI van's with the OGE production code which means they are EU3 compliant - this applies to some models as early as the 2000 model year, as VW often been ahead of the game...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Phase 3 has been suspended for now
So worry no more all vans are being left alone

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/11096.aspx
That report is from over a year ago and AFAIK it's going ahead in Oct 2010. I don't go into London often, though I was there yesterday, and my van was registered in 2000 so will be subject to this even though my current investigations say I have a Euro III engine. I'm in the process of getting confirmation from VW but I don't yet know what good it'll do. Maybe I'll just stop going to London, can't say I'll miss it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That report is from over a year ago and AFAIK it's going ahead in Oct 2010. I don't go into London often, though I was there yesterday, and my van was registered in 2000 so will be subject to this even though my current investigations say I have a Euro III engine. I'm in the process of getting confirmation from VW but I don't yet know what good it'll do. Maybe I'll just stop going to London, can't say I'll miss it.
So long as you have proof that your van has been EU3 compliant since new then Transport For London can update the DVLA database accordingly.

I take it that you have written to the importers direct...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tfls website says all vans are ok ,they are going back to a consultation because of the credit crunch ,hes given us all breathing space
Surely tfls website is gospal ,all the caravan clubs are saying the same thing ,nothing happening this year

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tfls website says all vans are ok ,they are going back to a consultation because of the credit crunch ,hes given us all breathing space
Surely tfls website is gospal ,all the caravan clubs are saying the same thing ,nothing happening this year
That would be good but where does it say that? If I put my reg into their site here;

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces?referrer=lez

then it says my van will be non-compliant after 04 Oct 2010.:confused:

Edit: OK I've just seen this little bit on Tfls site;

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/2526.aspx

Saying that the Mayor has proposed the suspension of LEZ for large vans and minibuses but the rest of the site hasn't been changed. I hope the process for the proposal to go through is just paper work and the site gets changed quickly to clear things up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts