VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T5 2011. Out of the blue the warning light that shows a fault with the lights came on when starting up. The left running light bulb was out. Additionally the dipped lights and rear lights don't work. The break lights still work. Checked all the fuses in the cab and under the bonnet and none have blown. Checked all lamps and none are blown. Changed the running light bulb for the same wattage and this works. But still the other lights are out. Then yesterday one of the breaking lights went out.???????
Is it easier to just replace all the lamps for new or is the solution simple????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had this issue with mine. Front & rear offside lights out. Was changing bulbs and pulling fuses all over but I couldn’t find any problems there. Turns out it was a problem with the rear internal light on the ceiling. Think it was a loose connection. Very strange.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
just realised my van (2011) doesn't have the light failure warning system, and I'm glad to be honest, it's noting but a pain in the ****.
the last van had it , and when I was fault finding on the rear number plate lights I probably wasted 2 hours because of it, I was checking the pins for voltage with the bulbs out and getting nothing, so proceeded to strip the van down and chase wiring back to try and find the fault but gave up in the end and put everything back together. and then the lights came on. turns out it was all fine, but when theres no bulb the control module turns off power to that unit! So all I had to do was clean the connections and put a bulb in!
other times with that van the failure light would come on and just lie to me, telling me bulbs were out but they weren't
and when fitting LED bulbs they would be temperamental

in the last 5 years of owning the current van that doesn't have it, a few bulbs have failed in that time, but the when this happens other road users tend to tell you. is that not an easier way...?
as I'm writing this I'm thinking I might have actually disabled the warning system when i got the van, if thats possible?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,613 Posts
I think every T5 has bulb monitoring - I've never seen one without it. It's a function that is built into the main body control module.

Yes - it is supposed to be possible to disable the monitoring selectively, though when I tried to disable it on mine (2013 Kombi SE) to test a headlight loom upgrade it didn't work, and the monitoring was still active.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,154 Posts
Mine has it, 2013 Shuttle, but it was all disabled when I got it, it is ex Hertz so I guess they have it done to stop getting phone calls all the time from customers.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,613 Posts
Perhaps I should try it again - I'm fairly sure that last time I didn't disconnect the battery and reconnect after making the coding change, and maybe that's necessary. Not that the bulb monitoring is any trouble - the only bulbs that fail regularly are the DRL bulbs, and they are not monitored on my van anyway...

·
Registered
679 Posts
So, reading between the lines it could be something as simple as a blown lamp(bulb)?
All the ones I’ve checked are ok so I’ve got it booked in to an auto electrician Tuesday. Hope they can sort it 🤞🏻

·
Registered
679 Posts
Got the lights sorted 👍🏻. Turns out the mechanic had put a screw through the wiring loom when refitting the front bumper🙈

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
ha, when i first read this I thought "what a rough ******* mechanic!"
but funnily enough today I have had to rectify a similar fault on my van, when fixing the ply back on near the rear light after fitting parking sensors I noticed that when it's wet and I put the indicator on it makes the lights go crazy, I had used a longer screw as the one I took out wasn't getting a fix, must have gone through the loom:oops:
removing the screw seemed to cure the problem for now. at least I know where it is if it comes back, gotta redo that side of the van shelving soon anyway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts