VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

I recently got myself a VW T4 2.5TDI (88hp) 2001 and it turns out there is a bit of an issue with the lights...

This started with the reverse light, well, there wasn't one when reversing..so using the advice I could find on this forum I've replaced bulbs, fuse and the reverse switch and still no luck, however the problem doesn't stop there as now I have removed the rear lights I now have a very confusing (at least for my brain) situation and desperately need some advice.

To try and be a bit more scientific I ran a few tests, which I have outlined below.... any thoughts?

Scenario 1 - Reverse switch shorted:
  • Side lights - left nothing / right okay
  • Brake light test - left no brake light but indicator came on / right okay
  • Reverse - Both okay but left dull
  • Indicators - Left alternating between brake and reverse / right okay

Scenario 2 - Reverse switch still shorted however swapped bulb holders over kept the bulbs on the same side but change indicator for reverse:
  • Side lights - left nothing / right okay
  • Brake light - both working
  • Reverse - Both okay and both bright
  • Indicators - Left nothing / right okay

My gut feel is that this is a wiring issue and also an issue with the shift rod not triggering the new switch :*

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Looks like you have an earthing fault. Do you have a hook on the car? If so your problem might be in the electrical plug for the trailer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there Indian, thanks for the swift reply!

There is a hook on the van, I hadn't thought to check that...

Any ideas on what and how to check the issue with the hook?

Cheers

Scotty

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
A 2001 model probably has the 7-pin plug and this should be easy to disconnect for testing. Just disconnect the wires from the trailer plug at the right rear lamp.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
How many people have their own testers? I dont.
I doRasp:

but I have a lot of tools & equipment.....

I have a 1991 '200tdi' Landrover Discovery for towing (one of the few 4x4's with an actual 3.5Ton towing capacityI: ) and tow a car trailer & hossbox with it. thhaving a lightboard tester is a godsend as you can test the tow-car's electrics & the trailer's wiring / bulbs in secondsT:

I've a few cars, a t4 & a pair of Disco's so rmaybe a bit greedyI:

Rich.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved, disconnected the hook harness as no plans to tow in the near future.

Then had to replace a missing wire from the loom, as well as clean the earths, and now all lights are working as they should do.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
If you go for the MOT, the trailer plug has to be in working order. You should get a new plug with the wires attached and reconnect so that will be in order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts