VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Light Switch Problem?? T4

Tags
lights switch
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Indian 
#1 ·
Morning...

I've an issue with my lights, they don't work!

Couple of weeks ago I noticed my lights hadn't switched on one evening; I switched them off then I switched them back on again and they flickered, I pushed down quite hard on the light switch and then they remained on for the rest of my journey. About a week ago they would no longer turn on at all.

I noticed a large crack on my LHF headlight and about an inch of water swilling around in there so I bought a new Headlight from ebay and fitted it, replaced the bulbs in that particular headlight, changed all the 10 amp fuses relating to all the lights on the fuseboard (athough none of them seem to have blown) and then tested the lights again.

This time the only light which came on was the small bayonet dimmer bulb within the newly installed headlight and that was it!!!

The strange thing about this is that when I pull the full beam lever back all of the lights come on (Fullbeam) but do not click on - I have to hold the lever back the whole time. With this in mind it's clearly not the bulbs. I've taken out the light switch and swapped it with a mate's and it didn't seem to work. Stupidly I didn't put my switch in his van to see if his still worked, perhaps I'll try that next time I see him.

I've done some research on here ( cleaning the switch etc ) how would I go about that?? I'm no electrian so am limited as to what my next step would be. Anyone experienced/resolved a similar issue?

Any suggestions would be a massive help.

P.S. I'm not keen on taking it to the garage........ because i'm tight ; ) VAn is T4 1994 1.9 (non -turbo desiel)

Many thanks

Sam

See less See more
#3 ·
Morning...

I've an issue with my lights, they don't work!

Couple of weeks ago I noticed my lights hadn't switched on one evening; I switched them off then I switched them back on again and they flickered, I pushed down quite hard on the light switch and then they remained on for the rest of my journey. About a week ago they would no longer turn on at all.

I noticed a large crack on my LHF headlight and about an inch of water swilling around in there so I bought a new Headlight from ebay and fitted it, replaced the bulbs in that particular headlight, changed all the 10 amp fuses relating to all the lights on the fuseboard (athough none of them seem to have blown) and then tested the lights again.

This time the only light which came on was the small bayonet dimmer bulb within the newly installed headlight and that was it!!!

The strange thing about this is that when I pull the full beam lever back all of the lights come on (Fullbeam) but do not click on - I have to hold the lever back the whole time. With this in mind it's clearly not the bulbs. I've taken out the light switch and swapped it with a mate's and it didn't seem to work. Stupidly I didn't put my switch in his van to see if his still worked, perhaps I'll try that next time I see him.

I've done some research on here ( cleaning the switch etc ) how would I go about that?? I'm no electrian so am limited as to what my next step would be. Anyone experienced/resolved a similar issue?

Any suggestions would be a massive help.

P.S. I'm not keen on taking it to the garage........ because i'm tight ; ) VAn is T4 1994 1.9 (non -turbo desiel)

Many thanks

Sam
Did you ever get this problem sorted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.