VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going into limp mode. Used to have clouds of thick black smoke. To went down the new Intercooler, pipes and egr delete path. I've also mr muscled the turbo. Engine is AXB (2003) was mechanical egr.

So intercooler on, pipes on. Tightened fully. No warning lights etc. I've actually had to go to the length of inserting some rubber around the pipes , under the clamps as the t clamps provided bottom out and the hoses blow off. With the rubber this hasn't happened.

Better acceleration and no smoke.

1. however, I'm still down on torq/top end power. - I was driving last night and having to change down gears on hills i used to blast up.
  2. I do get a bit of a whistle during boost but am unsure what it is coming from. My guess would not be leaky hoses... but none the less, i still don't 'know'. Am open to suggestion here on what to check and preferably 'how' as well.
  3. I also still went into limp mode once when going uphill in 5th when i just kept my foot down despite slowing to see what would happen.

Changing the hoses etc has helped, but the 'problem' is not resolved.

Would welcome further input.

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been having this same problem, I've also just fitted the erg delete pipe and hard pipes to get rid of the rubbish VW pipe clips!..I haven't changed the intercooler yet as couldn't find any faults with it but may do it soon for the uprated darkside one. I removed all the egr vac pipes and unplugged the N18 and anti shudder valve like in the diagrams below, although I kept the vacuum reservoir, as they are not needed now the erg is deleted, this may help may not but at least it removes any potential vac pipe leaks....I still have a hissing air leak sound coming from around the turbo area which stops when the vac pipe from the waste gate actuator to the n75 is disconnected, I'm now thinking the cause of the low boost and hissing noise is a leak in the actuator on the turbo.......just an idea of something you could look at. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#mahonyart thanks for the diagram. I haven't done any of that. I hadn't come across anything that said is was necessary either though.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I assume anything in red is removed?

Cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its not really necessary, just eliminates any potential vac pipe leaks and tidies everything up a bit.
Everything in red is removed to end up like the first diagram. Although I kept the vac reservoir.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please explain in very simple terms why remove the EGR valve & Everything in red? - i've heard of it, but never seen it done, and never seen a diagram which explains it so simply.
Thanks
Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts