VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I have been converting my SWB 1998 T4 into a camper for me and my girlfriend to go to and stay overnight at sailing events. My main aims for this project is for it to look pretty cool and be really practical for what we will use it for. So far I have stripped it all out, sold the seats out the back, carpeted and insulated everything, put in a frame for a DIY bed and cupboard set then layed a cheep floor.

I still have loads I want to do and hopefully I have had some good ideas that will help others especially as this forum is the only way I managed to pluck up the courage to do it. My build is moving pretty quickly as I'm at Uni so loads of time. Any advice would be grand and if you want any more info on anything I have done get in touch :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right today managed to get the bed sorted, the frame was already in. The frame was a DIY make up as I went along job but tested it out and it works. We don't need any seats in the back so didn't need seat belts and cost wise it has been about £50 compared to the rock and roll option. As the van will need to fit lots of sailing kit in it I wanted loads of room underneath as well so by doing it myself I could control the height. Fame is pictured below.

So then I made some slats that make up all chair and extend to make the bed. As the bed is 120cm wide I got some 240cm strip wood that was 18x46mm. Used 7 strips with 40mm webbing inbetween. I also made some little plates out of hardwood to stop the webbing ripping.

Next nailed the end slats to the front / back of the bed and tried it out in the van

The front of the bed looked rubbish so I made up a hardboard front and painted it.

My girlfriend saw an opportunity to custom the van a little so ordered some stickers a couple of days ago and covered the front of the bed. I fitted a couple of handles to slide it out and pop it back away easily.

All fitted and screwed to the bed. Tested and works great A:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right today was another annoying day weather wise - started doing things outside on the van this morning then torrential rain on/off all day. Still got loads done though :). Today was water works day! Sink, tap, pump and a drainage system. As we will always be camping at a sailing club in the van the sink will mainly get used for a middle of the night glass of water and teeth cleaning so I didnt need an expensive set up. I considered a Smev to begin with but turns out my units are too narrow (300mm) anyway even for the smallest one they do. I went for a £16 tap off ebay, a stainless mixing bowl and a £11 pump off ebay as well so all in all a pretty cheap system.

The hole for the sink was already cut before today but wasnt quite finished so that was the first job. Next was a hole for the tap so a quick measure and drill sorted that. It was super easy to fit then just tightened up underneath.

If your wondering what all the other holes are for hopefully the next picture will make sense of that for you.

Drainage wise we decided for amount it would get used that putting a pipe in the bottom might ruin the look of it. So to empty the bowl we are going to take the bowl out to empty it out of the van. To get the bowl out I installed a system to pull the bowl up.

Next was the pump. I wired it all up and put the pump through to under the bed. Wiring it up was pretty funny as my girlfriend held it in the house sink to test it and it sprayed all over her LOL: (suppose you had to be there).

The container is going to live under the bed so let the wiring down and through a ring so it will slide up and down. I also fitted a little holder so when its not in use its not rolling around on the floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed a volt meter this evening a well.

On another note I have uploaded 20 pics and it says I cant upload anymore? Is there a way around this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts