VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'd like to fit a couple of load loops about half way up, one on each side of my van behind the rear seats (kombi setup) to make it easier to secure things e.g. like mountain bikes.

Any tips on how to do this?

I was thinking about buying something like this:

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t5-parts/interiors/seat-belts/seatbelt-mounting-plates-pair.html

fit them onto the metal 'bulge' on either side and then bolting the loops into them?

anyone else got any advice or experience of doing this?

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used riv nuts into the vertical structural posts. Then bought some vw tie down loops and bolted them in, they're perfect for securing but be carefull about ratcheting them up too tight as they're not as strong as the floor jobbies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rivi nuts would be good as they only have a certain load capcity before they pull out or strip
This could save you from bending the structure of the vehicle

Have seen this done when someone puts a ratchet strap across and then cranks and cranks and cant work out why it dosnt stop then gets out to realise that the van isnt as wide as it used to be

The seat belt plates are an easy fit using a piece of wire to feed it up the inside of a piller, put a pop rivit through the small hole and bingo you have a captive nut that you can bolt anything you like into

Plenty of options then for load hoops / tie down rings etc

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bearing in mind these are 7/16 unf thread....rather than the 10mm bolts that secure the floor rings.
I've got additional VW load rings at this location fixed with the original floor bolts :confused:

If you're feeling bling, you could go with the (Unwin) cargo track look and adjustable load loops, e.g. here - mounted horizontally on the side beam in a short section

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I've got additional VW load rings at this location fixed with the original floor bolts :confused:

If you're feeling bling, you could go with the (Unwin) cargo track look and adjustable load loops, e.g. here - mounted horizontally on the side beam in a short section

You'll find the 10mm bolt screws in , however I wouldn't trust it to hold a load as its not the correct thread.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I took the lining out off my van to insulate it, it had some threaded type nuts on the rear set inside the framework of the van, I think it must be when it was a works van for the shelving, I've screwed some eyed bolts into them and use ratchet straps to stand the bikes up in the van. Seems quite a good fix to me, but I dont do the straps up too tight, just enough to keep tne bikes up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.