VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im found some alloys which are load rated to 690kg per wheel so gives 1380kg per axle and 2760kg full vehicle weight. They are to go on a T4 2.5 1200 panel van which i dont intend on loading with lots of heavy stuff, just some tools and perhaps some rear seats, roll n roll bed for camping in future. I know it will be under rated but since it will never be fully loaded would it be ok? Do people generally do this? I see loads of t4's running normal car wheels but these are alloys are off a heavy car (audi a8), id get load rated tyre to go with them. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this are?

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) Can of worms alert.

Simple answer is if your plate weight for an axle is more than 1380kg it's 'Illegal' in the eyes of the 'Authorities'

Consiquences of this vary from 'nothing' to 'possible manslaughter' charges :eek: (I'm sure that is an extreme example but true non the less)

Will they support the loads you intend to place in the van, probably, people use wheels of lower ratings and report no problems.

The choice is yours, as are the consiquences of your choice T:

Chris

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hi,

Im found some alloys which are load rated to 690kg per wheel so gives 1380kg per axle and 2760kg full vehicle weight. They are to go on a T4 2.5 1200 panel van which i dont intend on loading with lots of heavy stuff, just some tools and perhaps some rear seats, roll n roll bed for camping in future. I know it will be under rated but since it will never be fully loaded would it be ok? Do people generally do this? I see loads of t4's running normal car wheels but these are alloys are off a heavy car (audi a8), id get load rated tyre to go with them. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this are?

Wouldn't be any good for my 2.5TDI SWB ex AA van

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well i will check what my weights are so I know for sure but i do wonder if its worth saving a bit more and doing it right with proper van rated alloys, the peace of mind would be nice. What do you guys have?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Van rated wheels & tyres.

Wouldn't advise anything else.

Even if you don't load up the van you must have, (as a previous poster said), enough rating for the manufacturers plated weight..

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
Ok, well i will check what my weights are so I know for sure but i do wonder if its worth saving a bit more and doing it right with proper van rated alloys, the peace of mind would be nice. What do you guys have?
:) As it happens my Alloys are rated at 690kg, but my van max axle load is 1360kg (888 special, 2.5tdi camper conversion, me, fuel, camping kit and van, 2100kg on the weighbridge) so 'technicaly' legal and well in on actual weight, the wheels are paired with 101Li tyres with a 55 profile. However the tyres are shot now so I'm on early 15" steels with standard commercial tyres.

It really is up to you.

Chris

(My van max plated GVW is 2510kg)

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,967 Posts
Remember also, the rating of the wheel takes into account the result from hitting a pothole.
Under rated wheels will buckle.

Using anything not rated for the van (using the idea that you "never" load it up), is a bit like saying my house is only insured for £100,000 (as that is what is COST me), when in actual fact it will currently cost £200,000 to buy the exact same one next door!

1st trip with my newly fitted 17" wheels and tyres, we took a "detour" through Wales from Leeds to Folkstone.
Hit a "wonderful" cattle grid that bottomed the suspension and made the whole van "yump". (There was about a 2" lip from road to steel work on the grid, and I was only going about 60 !!!!)
NO damage to wheels or tyres, but I would think any under rated ones would have a nice buckle in each wheel.:eek:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wouldn't be any good for my 2.5TDI SWB ex AA van

As you can see, the recommended tyres for mine are 100 load rating and R15C 8 ply tyres and I have exceeded them with 104/102 rated R15C on standard steel wheels.

If you take teh heaviest axle and divide by two and do the maths, you may legally get away with 99 load rated XL 6 ply but personally, I think, go with whats recommended on the sticker in your driver's door jamb.

I painted my steels black and put some nice wheel trims on.

I had to get rid of the wheels that were on the van when I bought it. It had Audi A4 Car wheels and 97XL tyres, I didn't feel happy with them so got some steels.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hi,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^As with all other posts ............... and the A8 is NOT a heavy car, some factory alloys for that model are only rated at 650Kg.

Get the correct wheels and tyres to safe .............. unless you life is only worth a few quid less :*

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^As with all other posts ............... and the A8 is NOT a heavy car, some factory alloys for that model are only rated at 650Kg.

Get the correct wheels and tyres to safe .............. unless you life is only worth a few quid less :*

Isn't an A8 a lightweight aluminium car?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Isn't an A8 a lightweight aluminium car?
Well let's just say it's a lot lighter than people imagine I:

Your personal situation is typical of many, where you need at least 755Kg load rated wheels, and 100 load rated tyres that also can safely be inflated to just over 50 PSI (if the need arose).

I know you have your steels and correct tyres; but the three criteria above would heavily influence (or limit) your final choice, were you in a position to make one T:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks for all the replies. I will not compromise myself or my van, ill do it properly and get nothing less than 755kg rated alloys (minimum). I'll make sure tyres are also up to spec! Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts