VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need to replace the alloys on my van as they are not load rated high enough. :(

Need a load rated set, preferably 18's, with load rated tires good enough for my SWB 2.5 T4 (99 or 102 LR?)

Would prefer black but could probably colour code them myself. Budget of £500 for everything I need.

Can probably collect. :ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
ex-aa according to door jam info sticker is shown as needing 101 tyres.
however front axle weights work out at 99 (half front axle /2) and rear less so..

problem being on 17 or 18's you need a min 55 profile to get a load rating of 99 or above.

I cannot find any width 17" or 18" that has a load rating of 99 or above (that has a width that will fit on a T4 and profile of 50 or less.

Im running 225/55/17 and their oversize, i need 225/50 or 225/45 but load ratings max out at 98. and the reinforced versions only support the same load but at a higher pressure than a non re-inforced version.

My longer term plan is to use SVTECH to downrate the axle weights such that i can hopefully run a 98li, this opens up 45 & 50 profiles in 17s and 18s..
Need to visit a weighbridge first to check the unloaded axle weights and see how much carrying capacity i would have left on a 98 tyre (given i carry 4 ppl and loads of camping / biking kit its pretty heavy).

best of luck tyring but you wont find anything above 98 and hence nothing legal on an ex-aa..

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
best of luck tyring but you wont find anything above 98 and hence nothing legal on an ex-aa..
When you say "Nothing legal" .... are their LAWS on which tires you have to have? and if so, have my suppliers broken the law by putting them on the van for me? (Put a pair of 92's on as the old ones were bald, just for now)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts