VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered a thousand times but i need to get it straight! The axle weights on my LWB 1200 are 1490 and 1510 = 3000kg. 750kg a corner which is what it says on the 98 tyres i have, but this thread says i need a minimum of 99?! i cant find any 225 50 17 in 99!! :*

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
don't divide by 4 as front and rear carry different weights. Devide the rear axle by 2 and the front axle by 2 and that's your minimum loads.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i hear you, so my tyres are ok for the rear axle, but ill need 2 x 99+ for the front? i can get 235/50/17 in 100 rating but when i got the wheels they came with 235/45's on then & this is how they sat on the front...

risking it a bit?

am i going to have to get 5mm skimmed off the mounting face?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I gather they're 8.5" wide and ET27?
If so they're the wrong offset(too low) and also too wide for the front of a T4.

Even if you could skim 5mm off the wheel(risky indeed!) they're still going to poke due to the width.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Even if the offset was another 10mm higher(ET37) they'd still stick out of the arches due to the width.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
POKE :) they are 8.5 j et29. with the 225's on the rolling tread should be within the arch. they're going on one way or another, just trying to fathom the best way. its looking like the only options are the 235's, or stay with 225's and go up a profile to 55. plenty of load rateds in that size.
i assume the deciding factor on whether they can be skimmed or not is down to the thickness of the mounting face?:*

·
Registered
751 Posts
I run 8.5" front on et40 with 245s and everything is under the arch
Its the ET not the width T:

Really?
The 8.5X18 ET45 Eltanins below aren't inside the front arch and they're 5mm further in than yours.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Really?
The 8.5X18 ET45 Eltanins below aren't inside the front arch and they're 5mm further in than yours.
Oh im sorry my mistake I:

my fronts are 8.5" ET42 with 245s and still under the arch
also even thou were not talking rears
my rears are 9.5" ET40 with 255s on and you guessed it all tread right round the van under the arch line
it must be a miracle LOL:
so i will say again its an offset issue , Not the wheel width T:.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just to throw another spanner in the works, noticed today that the sticker inside the drivers doorframe says 104/102 load rating!!!! so what load rating do i need? cant see vag being wrong!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
just to throw another spanner in the works, noticed today that the sticker inside the drivers doorframe says 104/102 load rating!!!! so what load rating do i need? cant see vag being wrong!!
That is what VAG fitted upon delivery :)
Over here U need to stik with that unless the V5 states/permittes otherwise
WAY more strict that the UK & MoT;)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
so 99 is indeed the correct load rating for the front axle on my 1200 lwb? (1510kg)
99 seems to cover the load legally.
VW has however upgraded this, in Germany U would hve had to go by the 3-digit numbers posted.
There seems to be a more relaxed approach to this on U`r island ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not doubting any of it but it all seems like a bit of a grey area ( for want of a better expression ) to me. should i fail an MOT if my tyres arent up to load rating spec?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
not doubting any of it but it all seems like a bit of a grey area ( for want of a better expression ) to me. should i fail an MOT if my tyres arent up to load rating spec?
From what I have read on this forum, Underrated tyres will not fail MOT for vans, Something also abt registry etc. Sorry, I don`t remember the exact specs as I can`t relate to them. Maybe a Mot-Tester could clarify?

My Understanding is that VOSA & Police could pull U roadside & check. Underrated tyres/rims will mean ao 3p/corner.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
No MOT fail criteria for load rate on a class 4 test
And as long as your tyres match at least half the highest axle weight theres no legal implication either T:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts