VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so looking at some alloys on eBay.

I'm concerned over the fact that the listing does not indicate the load rating, so I emailed the seller.

Here's the listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_1914wt_986

So I sent this email:

Hi,

Love the wheels and interested for a set for VW T5. Can you confirm the load rating please as I have a T28. As you have stated they are suitable for all models, I'm guessing they are OK up to a T30, so should be fine. Just wanted to check.

Thanks.

And got this reply:

Hi there,

The wheels are load rated to 3 tonne, so they will be perfect for a t28,

If you would like any further info or would like to pay for an order, you can also call us on 07503 ******

Kind regards

So the question is, are they suitable as I know the T28 is good for 2.8t, but the GTW is 4.9t from this info: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1046903&postcount=13

Of course I would want to seek clarification as 3t seems to be a very round number and I would have preferred to be quoted per wheel, which may genuinely be 750kg per wheel. Doesn't seem enough somehow when Range Rover alloys are 950kg plus and aren't strictly goods vehicles.

Confused.:confused:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
GTW is gross train weight so includes max trailer tow weight T:

I guess the wheels are rates at 750kg each, But that is a smidge low out back at 1550kg axle load...

For the sake of 50kg i'd live with it I:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
You need to know the weight rating of the individual wheel. "3t rating" is very generalistic.

If they cannot supply that figure then just walk away, they either do not know what they are talking about or just want your money.

Be safe, not sorry.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Get him to photograph the load stamps on the inside of the wheel rim, otherwise they may be reps. If in doubt walk away, something else will always turn up. Better safe than sorry later on T:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brian and dsm,

I couldn't agree more, I have series concerns over sellers duty of care with these issues. I want to stay within the law and with no risk to my insurance.

I didn't like the general 3t weight overall. Someone with real interest would have been specific with their information. I don't like the smell of it. A picture of the load rating isn't a bad idea.

I can see why people get RR alloys. A lot less hassle with known ratings and a good pedigree.

I think I'm going o leave it. I didn't like the (what felt to me like a) fob off answer.

Funny thing was, he advertises them for a T32 then tell me they are rated for 3t. I don't like that attitude one bit, in fact, I've messaged him (nicely) to say they aren't suitable for anything over a T26. Let's see if he wants to come back.

A bit of merchant baiting......

·
Registered
511 Posts
Most wheels for sale on Ebay are rubbish copies. Stick to genuine VW or a decent manufacturer like BBS or Borbet.
You get what you pay for. What do you expect for £380!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Think he's after your cash with answers that brief and I think a lot of sellers are now using the load rated phrase a bit to easily just to reel u in ??? Gary , go safe ( RangeRover all the way :D )
hope you had a good Xmas and see you at a meet soon ? T:.........with some new wheels ! Rasp:
I'll be at the next one. On a Sunday isn't it?

Each time I think I will go for some new wheels, I remind myself that I have to drive up a nasty kerb to get into the garage and that the 65 profile tyres that I have on the OEM alloys soak that kind of thing up.

Might have to sit on my cash until I sort the drop kerb out! but then again...........

I'll never decideLOL:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm sure some tighter regulations should come about as there are allot of cheap alloys about that claim load ratings but nothing is stamped on them. if you have an accident this is the first place any loss adjuster looks to invalidate your insurance, it's just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
3000 KG is a very round figure
Almost like it was made up on the spot.......
If you wrap it up and they are car alloys there won't be a payout

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed the seller back last night just for clarification. Nothing yet.

I've switched off from this seller now, I'm just baiting a little. My bad.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just as a matter of interest, the seller came back with......

Hi there,

As far as we are aware even the biggest of t5 models have a maximum load capacity of 1297kg, We could be wrong but all of our information comes from vw centres,

Also most people purchasing these kind of wheels use the vans as campers or holiday vans which dont carry alot of weight,

We have sold over 400 sets of this wheel to t5, vivaro, trafic & primistar and never had any problems,

So there we go, everything must be OK thenLOL:

I'm moving on.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, the seller came back with......
Also most people purchasing these kind of wheels use the vans as campers or holiday vans which dont carry alot of weight,
Actual weight carried is irrelevant - it's the MGW that counts - so much for their knowledge of the law & implications. As it happens, some campers can be quite heavy, with the conversion, people, pets & provisions on board.

We have sold over 400 sets of this wheel to t5, vivaro, trafic & primistar and never had any problems,
Yet !

I'm moving on.
A very wise move indeed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts