VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
No more in how they work and what this Allen bolt really does. I feel it just adds preload to a spring which limits the max pressure allowed through.

A bit like the old mini ones. If this is correct then it is a better way to adjust the pressure to the rear equally.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I took mine apart yesterday here's some pics.

This part pushes up on two springs at the base of the piston/valves up as weight is added to the van.

The needle sized part at the very top is spring loaded from within and get pushed down allowing more fluid through.

·
Registered
682 Posts
No more in how they work and what this Allen bolt really does. I feel it just adds preload to a spring which limits the max pressure allowed through.

A bit like the old mini ones. If this is correct then it is a better way to adjust the pressure to the rear equally.

The allen head screw is like a manual bypass. You can use it to apply an artificial load. It will no longer function as a load sensing valve though, it's more or less bypassed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello i try lot learn more about this load sensing valve, it started with mine was stuck so i sprayed it with wd-40 and it worked.
But now i have a question about that white plastic wing nut, what does it do? you can turn it in or out and tension the springs i guess, but why and in what position should be?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Very few people really know how to adjust the load sensing valve. When I lowered my van I felt the tension in the springs and after I lowered it I loosened the two nuts that lock the springs in position and let them spring back so that the tension was the same again and then tightened the nuts back up

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
how does the valve work when you have drum rear brakes .
The same way I would imagine, the valve 'adjusts' the hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes (drum or caliper) by restricting/allowing pressure to pass to the brake via the two valves in the unit.

The more 'weight' in the van the 'lower' it will sit and the 'more' pressure required for more braking force at the rear.

Problems can occur when the van is artificially 'lowered' (lowering springs but no extra weight) and the valve 'senses' (via the geometrical position of the valve physically sitting in a 'compressed' position) a 'heavy load' in the rear of the van, it allows greater pressure to the rear and 'lockups' can occur under heavy breaking :(

By adjusting the valve correctly it will regulate the pressure in the correct ratio to the weight, not the ride height.

Chris

21 - 30 of 30 Posts