VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My T5 died last night on the motorway and I had to get recovered back home. Sudden loss of power and cruised to a stop. No loud bangs or thuds. Tried to start it and no joy. However if you take the breather off the crankcase it starts but there is exhaust gas (loads) coming out through here. I think maybe a ring has gone or perhaps a piston is holed ? One you put the top back on the breather it stalls.

It has 320k miles on it Shuttle - 2.5tdi 130 bhp.

I'm thinking it may go to the big scrapheap in heaven unless someone knows a way out of this ?

Sick as a chip.

I've only had the van 2 months and have replaced - water pump - glow plugs - new turbo and now looks like the motors goosed ?

Comments please and maybe a guide price if someone wants to tow it away ?

Based in Bishop Auckland

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,367 Posts
That will be the turbo seized blocking the exhaust port. :( When fitting the new turbo make sure there are no bits in the pipe work and consider fitting a new intercooler if there are small bits around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you deffo think its the turbo then ? Not a ring/piston/the head ??

It doesn't start at all when the pipework is on

But when you take the breather off the head the exhaust gasses come out of it (loads !)

There is nothing showing up on VAG computer either ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,367 Posts
I'd say it's very likely. A compression out on one cyl wouldn't stop you dead like that. You only have drop the exhaust to check so much better than head off etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if the turbo had gone wouldn't it still run just not boost up ? So flat as a fart but still at least tick over ?

It only now runs if you let it 'breathe' i.e. let the exhaust gasses out of either the top of the head breather or a pipe on the left of the head ?

Thanks for your input mate.

I was thinking this may be a new engine

But if its just a turbo I might be able to get this fixed under warranty

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,367 Posts
If the turbo seizes it can block the normal path of the exhaust gasses. It's not to do with boost. I know it seems weird but it does happen. Good luck with the warranty claim. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiya Mate

I could have written this scenario myself - exactly the same happened last Sunday.

Can you confirm please that the turbo had seized and did you have to replace the intercooler as well?

My van is due into the garage on Tuesday 17th. Are you able to say how much the job cost you in the end?
Thanks;)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Two subsequent turbo failures normally indicate that there is possibility of fuel dilution from injector seals or tandem pump. Best to check oil level and get an oil sample done before throwing any more money away.

Seen this so many times now from inexperienced garages.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have a BNZ engine for sale see Ebay 331083143139

Might help you if its bottom end damage ?

Cheers
Why didn't you just get the camshaft and followers done, after investing so heavily in the bottom end? Seems strange to sell it after all that effort, when the cam work is relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
464 Posts
We purchased the van with the rebuilt engine ! Some warranty work and some of our cash saw a different engine going in after 250miles and much discussion , we have it , the previous owner paid £3,000 + for the bottom end repairs :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts