VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to make a kit for vans that don't have the optional switch on the drivers door to control the central locking but stopped making them last year. There still seem s to be quite a demand for this upgrade so here is a "HOW TO" for anyone wanting to have a go.

You will need:

two way momentary switch like an electric window switch (you can use an OE locking switch from a Golf or Sirocco from a scrapper, this will fit one of your switch blanks on the dash) or
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/8235190/?searchTerm=8235190&relevancy-data=636F3D3126696E3D4931384E525353746F636B4E756D626572266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C26706D3D5E5C647B362C377D7C5C647B31307D7C28283F69292852537C5253207C52532D293F5C647B337D285C73293F5B5C732D2F255C2E2C5D285C73293F5C647B332C347D292426706F3D3126736E3D592673743D52535F53544F434B5F4E554D4245522677633D4E4F4E45267573743D38323335313930267374613D3832333531393026 will do it.

some 0.5 mm cable in brown, yellow/blue and black
a few resistors ranging from 875 ohms to 1K
a N/O contact relay

What you need to access is the 10 way black connector block behind the dash end plate on the drivers side. In pin 6 is a yellow/blue wire. This wire needs to be pulsed with a negative to lock and pulsed with a negative via the resistor to unlock. The value of this resistor seems to vary slightly van to van so we begin with the 1K and work down until we find the right one for your van.

The purpose of the relay is isolate the switch unless the ignition is on for security. If you plan to mount the switch in the back of the van where it cannot be reached through a window then you can dispense with the relay.

Connect a brown wire from the earth point behind the carpet by the bonnet pull to the common pin of your switch. Connect the resistor across the two output pins of your switch. Connect a yellow/blue wire from output pin of the switch to the yellow/blue wire in the black 10 way connector block. Check that van locks/unlocks correctly when the switch is operated. If it locks but won't unlock change the resistor for a lower value until you get it right.
Once you have lock/unlock sorted you can fit the inhibitor relay if you need to.

Cut the brown wire to the switch and connect the two ends to the N/O contacts of the relay. Also connect the end from the earth point to one of the relay coil connections. Connect an ignition controlled supply to the other relay coil connection. You can pick up this supply from one of the thick black/yellow wires at the back of the headlight switch but you must insert an inline fuse of 3 amps at this point. (not 5.1)

[/IMG]

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know for sure but best guess would be yes. You will have to meter out the pins though to find the configuration that you need.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hello.Can you be more specific abotu the type of resistor and relay?Thx in advance.
I have a 2009 T5 T32 and a 1k resistor worked for me, only cost 10p. https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-11k-ohm-resistor-m1k1

As for the relay. I have bought one but not used it yet, not sure if it is really needed. If anyone could explain the scenario as to why? https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/micro-make-break-relay-with-diode-no-contacts-12v-25a.html

I have fitted the switch linked in first post but I dont like it, It's quite large and chunky looking, so ordered a different one. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/momentary-off-momentary-mini-rocker-switch-10-amps-at-12-volts.html

I mounted the switch in a blank in the dashboard next to gear stick and it works really well. This is something I have had in my previous vehicles and missed and wanted fitted but had no idea how to go about it. All thanks to UPSPEX for sharing his knowledge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I have just done this mod to my 2007 T5 using a genuine vow T5 switch but something strange is happening when I press the unlock side of the switch the locking system locks the van and when I press the lock side of the switch it unlocks. Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would it be possible to extend the cable going to the switch in the door, to a second switch in the back or would that not work thanks
I don’t see why not. It is in fact on my to do list, the only thing I would probably do different from the instructions on the first post (which I followed when I installed a switch in the drivers door) is pick up the wires as they come into the van from the door and use a 3way electric window switch similar to the ones you used to get in the centre console of a bmw 3 series recessed in the door pillar below the top seatbelt mount. Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t see why not. It is in fact on my to do list, the only thing I would probably do different from the instructions on the first post (which I followed when I installed a switch in the drivers door) is pick up the wires as they come into the van from the door and use a 3way electric window switch similar to the ones you used to get in the centre console of a bmw 3 series recessed in the door pillar below the top seatbelt mount. Let us know how you get on![/QUOTE]
Ok so I had a go at it today, I tried to meter out the 3 wires that are connected to the switch in the door but can only manage to figure out 2 wires which unlocks the doors but can't seem to figure out the other wire as there doesn't seem to be any electrical connection to either of the other 2 that I have been able to meter out

·
Registered
10 Posts
I still haven't got round to fitting the secondary switch yet but still can't figure out how to wire it as it isn't easily tested with a meter, I am just going to wing it and hope it works as we are going to Italy this weekend in our van

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anybody successfully done this mod?
Not yet unfortunately, but I think it's not that straight forward, doing a bit of testing while on the road it looks like the switch in the door only needs 2 wires to operate but has 3 one of which is for the light in it, the switch has a low resistance and a high resistance side so when you unlock it is a low resistance and to lock it is a high resistance, unfortunately my meter has broken so can't continue testing till I get back to the UK, I will then try it out and put it on here

1 - 20 of 52 Posts