VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my ex-AA T5 i bought back in march this year when I sold my t4 for her, I got a 5 as really fancied one & being required to do more mileage for work, so thought a t5 would soak that up a bit better. We have named her Lola & are very pleased with her, I have only just got around to starting a build thread due to some teething problems with the young lady, but hoping to catch up now & there is still plenty to do.

I bought a 1.9tdi ex-AA 105BHP with parking sensors & aircon. She came in the current state you see with some work done by the previous owner but not quite to where I want to be with her. The plan is to build a kombi/ day van which we can sleep in similar to my t4.

So here we go & I hope you like my thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trying to catch up & upload the last 6 months of the build on the van. So the plan for the van is to make it into the same as what my t4 was a Kombi/ day van. The van came apparently insulated lined & also carpeted on the floor. So after having the van for only about two weeks me & the boy took her out for a run & cruise down to cheddar Gorge for a van meet & then on to weston.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good bud, whats next? Watching this post for progress reports lol !!
Well seeing you asked so nice, a lot of work has already been done over the summer & the so far winter, I need to get into gear & upload the photos. But after shelling out for a gear box recon & new DMF & clutch I am slightly behind on my build, but the list to do was -

- Rear Seat
- Clean up floor & treat
- Flash band & insulate
- Lower
- Banded Steels
- change double front seat
- Electric Windows
- Split Charge & Leisure battery
- Rear Lights & Sockets
- Bike Rack & Roof Rack
- Awning Rail
- Tart up interior
- Line & Carpet

Well this shall keep my bank balance looking low for a while!!!!

Pictures to follow as some of this has been done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first job was to get some seating in the the van that was suitable for the family & also to put some protection of the floor & to deal with any rust as being an ex-AA van I was expecting a nice coating of oil & dents in the flooring.

So this is what I found once I removed the ply floor & carpet, so not to bad but needed sorting out.

A nice washed can degreased floor ready for some seating. I went with setting the van up like a Kombi as I already had a T5 rear triple seat which I had already in my T4, so it was only a case of getting some new seat floor clamps & getting them welded in.

I started off by putting in two floor clamps but getting them put in further back to give the rear passengers more leg room on longer journeys & then decided after a week to put in the forward to so I could put the seat in its original position & move it further back or fully remove if required.

These pictures are with the seat in the further back position before the more forward clamps went in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you can see in the top pictures I have started started adding flash banding as sound deading, I got a bit carried away with it!! Started doing the same in the cab, lifting the floor & painting it again with Red Oxide, then topping that off with some Hammerite. After that I used some flash banding on the floor with some insulation & then putting the original cab floor back. At some point I will have to get a new cab floor mat as the original one is not great.

Making the good lady help getting it all done, good to see the woman working. Lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today well doing some insulating of Lola I came across the parking sensory ECU & thought seeing that the parking sensors themselves don't seem to work & all I get now & then from the speaker for them is some odd tune I thought I would investigate further!!!

As Lola is an Ex-AA van I wasn't sure if my parking sensors were factory or not, but after a recent trip to the garage to reset the brake warning light it was decided that they more than likely not & I left if on the will get around to at some point list, thinking I have got mirriors & never had a vehicle with them before I didn't really need them list!!

But now I found the ECU for them I thought I would play! I front the ECU located in the very bottom of the rear right wheel arche tucked right down the bottom (I didn't realise that went so far down!) I thought that the ECU felt a little wet so I though I would unplug it & go dry it out! What I found was a very damp innereds & you can see from the pictures that I believe that the circuit board may have had it!!!

As you can see some rust, I am not great with these things but that looks fit for the bin!! But I have found I can still buy them for £40ish pounds so I shall give that a go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the van gets used a lot for doing odd jobs for the old chap picking stuff up for useless he has bought on eBay or towing or collecting bits for his Caterham 7. But when he said he had bought the boy one I was very interested to see what I would be collecting!!!!!

Well I wasn't expecting to be getting this!!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looking good...............How are the sound levels in the front with all that insulation on the floor?

J

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jimmyw
Re: Lola, yellow t5 - Build Thread
Looking good...............How are the sound levels in the front with all that insulation on the floor?

Thanks very much.

I have done the cab doors now with flash banding but not put the door cards back on due to spraying them, but so far it sounds quitter but won't be able to fully tell until I get all the bits in I can't fully tell. I am going to do the cab door seal conversation as well that should hopefully improve cab noise to.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts