VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads
im after buying a 00 2.5 tdi syncro (102bho)
im going to be doing a lot of motorway towing.
i want to install a longer 5th gear for this.
can anyone tell me what my options are and which is best?
i searched and found this topic http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33958
i cant understand what is the upgrade for my van from this?

thanks
john

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
you never really know what gearing you have as it may have been special order from hannover ? you could decode the vehicle and see if that throw's anything up ?
i have heard that the syncro has the highest top gear any way, the lower gears can be an prob are lower than standard 2wd.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The syncro normaly has the best 5 gear fitted from standard

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
what speed/revs?? there is a 'mountain geared' syncro version... though the chances of one of those turning up in ROI is pretty slim i reckon?!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what kind of mpg can i expect from a standard spec van towing a car on a trailer? im talking up a motorway at 75ish roughly? 25-30at a guess?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
lower of that i reckon.

I've got a standard lwb (apart from decat and egr blank) and get around 7.25 - 7.75 miles per litre - not sure what is in mpg 32'ish?..... but it's pretty much empty and at non motorway speeds (17miles of country/town roads and a bit of duel) so maybe not the best comparison.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
well i just checked on my way into work 2800 rpm = 70mph 3000 && rpm = 75mph.

and haven't a clue?!?!?

If your after better mpg go for a decat, egr blank, re-map and keep an eye on tyre pressure?? and possibly new exhaust...?!?!?

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
well i just checked on my way into work 2800 rpm = 70mph 3000 && rpm = 75mph.

and haven't a clue?!?!?

If your after better mpg go for a decat, egr blank, re-map and keep an eye on tyre pressure?? and possibly new exhaust...?!?!?
what wheels and tires you running?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts