VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Valve Lifter
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm rapidly approaching retirement age I'm planning on basing myself in SW France for a continuous period of up to six months every year, and so I need suitably extended recovery and insurance cover - any suggestions without breaking the bank?

I assume that the recovery and insurance cover could be combined or taken out separately.

ADAC (Germany) used to offer value for money EU wide breakdown cover, but now only sell new policies to German residents otherwise that would have been ideal.

The van is now 20 years old, standard (i.e. unmodified), and so now qualifies for classic insurance - does this open up any new possibilities I wonder?

It's a Day Van (not a camper), and in theory I could go for either 'standard' van or classic insurance cover.

If pushed I only really need breakdown cover for the outward and return legs of my stay, for when I am there I stay pretty local and have lots of contacts to call on for assistance. In fact I only really need recovery to my French locality as I would prefer to carry out my own repairs, and in practice would obtain new parts from the UK, as they are both hideously expensive and difficult to order for older vehicles from my local French VW Dealers, (please believe me on this!).

There must be lots of owners who have faced this problem (or will do in the future?) - I would welcome any recommendations...........

thanks

Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D

·
Valve Lifter
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Nationwide Flex Plus account costs £156 per year and includes personal European breakdown cover for up to 180 days per year, (via Brittania Rescue), plus a few other benefits. There doesn't appear to be an age limit on the van, and the cover is personal so applies to any vehicle I'm operating.

The interest received on the account balance will help offset this cost a little, and they also offer a £100 financial reward if you are a new customer (unfortunately I'm already with them!).

Looks promising but I'm still looking...............

Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
+1 for LV Britannia.
They were spot on when we had a major breakdown (driveshaft) in Northern Spain back in December.
They gave us a choice between repatriation of ourselves and the van, 4 nights in a hotel while the van was repaired or onward travel to our destination.
Obviously onward travel was no good to us so we took the hotel option. Us and the van were taken to an approved garage, then we were taxied back to Ponferrada to a 4 star hotel for 2 nights.
Bear in mind that this was on 20th December.
We had an apartment booked in Oporto for Christmas week and we were due to meet our 2 daughters and families there. Britannia arranged a hire car for us so we got to Porto in good time. We got back to Ponferrada on 28th December and picked the van up, all freshly repaired. Considering the fact that it was Christmas week and a weekend thats pretty good service.
Can't fault Britannia or the garage.
All in all it cost about £1500 for the repairs and the car hire.
As Jim says you get 180 days continuous, and I think mine was £134-00 per year.
Roger

·
Valve Lifter
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the end I settled for a motorhome policy with 2Gether (180 days extension EU/year), plus 180 days EU breakdown cover through the Nationwide.

I'm pleased with the result, and 2Gether were great to deal with - highly recommended.

Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts