VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've got an early B5 Passat on its last legs, but with a decent 1.9TDi AFN engine. I know they can be fitted to T4's, my only problem is this is a longitudinal mounted engine. Does anyone know how easy/ difficult it is to make them fit. I do a fair bit of fabricating and welding so if it's just a matter of altering the engine mounts it's not a problem.

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
Some of the B5 passat Cylinder blocks have the relevant bolting 'lugs' for the driveshaft steady bracket & also for the rear mounted dipstick tube, if these are present then that's easily fitted to a t4 A:

Sump, pickup pipe, flywheel/clutch and waterpump/alternator mount will need changing for t4 items (inline flywheel has starter ring gear on engine end & transverse have ring gear on gearbox side of flywheel I: )

Rich.

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
Although if you're converting from a 2.4 based van I'd be sure to get lots of the nessessary 4-cylinder specific parts ready (sump & pickup pipe, engine & driveshaft mount, pas pump with bracket/both pulleys & hoses from reservoir & to rack, most of the coolant pipes (rubber & metal!) even the fuel pipes from filter to engine as the 4-cylinder diesel ones are longer due to the up mounted on the cambelt end :eek:)

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been looking at a couple of 1.9 non turbos, and I'm hoping parts off that will fit the TDi.

Registered
There are other versions of the same engine that were fitted to other transverse VAG models, would it not be easier to sorce parts from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts